initial rheumatology appointment, what to expect?

Gwynedd
Gwynedd Member Posts: 32
edited 4. Jun 2015, 13:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
I've been lucky enough to get a very quick referral to see the rheumatologist.
Does anyone have any recent experiences as what to expect ?
Any advice would be greatly received .
Thank you
Make hay while the sunshines

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I took my husband with me to my first appointment - on the basis that if there were questions I forgot to ask, he`d be able to prompt me. Failing that, I have been known to jot some questions down to which I felt I needed answers/information.

Looking back - long way back now - to my first rheumy appointment I had more bloods taken; weight measured; MSU taken; X-rays, plus appointments for Occupational Therapy & Rheumy Nurse. I was also given a steroid injection and was prescribed Sulphasalazine.

I found the whole thing left me with a lot to absorb - though in actual fact, not a lot of information was given in terms of how the RA may/may not progress. I know a lot more now.

I should say that this appointment took place at my local hospital, and 18 months down the line, due to various circumstances, I changed to a different hospital, with a far better rheumy department.

Good luck with the appointment.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I remember my first one very clearly (I won't say much but needless to say I proved the twerp wrong :wink: ) and I concur with theresak, take someone with you to act as another pair of ears and a voice. If you are keeping your diary then take that (remember to keep it brief, too many words won't be as easily absorbed by the rheumatologist) and they may require more bloods or an Xray too. When it's happened please let us know how it went, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Lots of questions, lots of prodding and poking and maybe even a strip down for your joints to be inspected. As my Mum kindly likes to remind me, make sure you are wearing hospital suitable knickers :lol:
    On a more serious note, do take another person for support and along with a diary, write down anything you have to ask or have noticed - it might help you with the barage of questions. Think along the lines of when the joints hurt most, what helps, when does the pain ease etc etc. Good luck and let us know how you go.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Gwynedd
    Thanks guys,
    Lots of really good info.
    I have decided to take my hubby with me for all your reasons.
    At least I have an idea as to what awaits me now.
    For the first time my ankles and knees have started to hurt over the last few days. I was hoping that it would stay in my hands, wrists and elbows. Wishful thinking, I know!
    Thanks x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I have had 2, and the second one I took a list of all aches pains rashes hair loss and anything else I thought was they needed to know..I also went back to my childhood..some sort of fever I had....they were not sure...a list of all meds and a list of any questions you want to ask...good luck hope it goes well
    Love
    Barbara
  • littleelf
    littleelf Member Posts: 69
    I too have just received word of my first appointment (just short of three weeks away).

I never thought to jot down what aches and pains; numbness and such, that I get. But will start making notes now.

Barbara: is losing hair normal? As I was getting quite alarmed with my hair loss. Dry eyes too. Has anyone else had these symptoms?

I already considered new undies ... it has to be done, right. ;)

I'd love to know what your experience is Gwynedd, just to see if there are any differences. When is your appointment?

Good luck! ^_^
    True strength is smiling when you want to cry; laughing to hide the pain; and going on, no matter what. <3
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Littleelf - those of us on methotrexate sometimes tend to lose small amounts of hair ie a few on the pillow or in the basin after washing it but that's because of the methotrexate not the arthritis. Do mention it though.

As for dry eyes, definitely mention them as there can be a connection.

Good luck to both of you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Good luck to you too Gwynedd :)

Look forward to hearing how you get on. :)

Toni x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello littleelf I have been asked at both apoitments do I have hair loss, I do but put it down to age, apparently there are a few things that can cause it, lupus being one and thyroid..I know there are others so its alway worth a mention..good luck hope it goes well..I would always say if you get a rhyumy that is trying to rush you, dont let them just say I have a few questions hereit does work..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Gwynedd
    Hi littleelf,
    My appointment is a week tomorrow 29th. I gave a blood sample yesterday ahead of the appointment, so my results will be waiting for me. I'm very impressed with the organisation and efficency, fingers crossed it continues!
    Clean knickers ready,check
    List of symptoms, check
    Medication, check
    Husband, check.
    Good luck with your appointment, be interesting to compare.
    Thanks to all for advice x
  • littleelf
    Thanks for the info everyone.

And yes, good luck to you too Gwynedd. Let us know how you get on. :)
    True strength is smiling when you want to cry; laughing to hide the pain; and going on, no matter what. <3
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    If you've got any photos of swollen joints or rashes, that's always good. I've never taken photos myself but I've heard other people have. Keeping a very simple diary, so you can explain a pattern is also helpful e.g. how long your joints remain stiff for in the AM etc.

Best of luck!
  • littleelf
    How did your appointment go? What did they do? Did they put you on any medication? :)

I have my appointment on Monday and I'm quite apprehensive. :?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Gywnedd posted two new threads about her appointment on May 31st (they are still on this page). I'll bump them up for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • littleelf
    Thanks x