where to start?

Options
tricity
tricity Member Posts: 4
edited 26. May 2015, 06:43 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all,
I am 38 years old and have just been told by my consultant that I have arthritis in both hips. He said he has never seen it so bad in someone so young. It's just bone on bone on my right side. He said my only options are steroid injections and eventually a hip replacement. I'm devastated, I have a seven month old baby.
Can anyone help with pain management? What does this mean from here. Will i just get worse and worse? Sorry for all the silly statements, I'm just a bit lost.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello tricity

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes

Mod JK
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Hi tricity
    I'm not surprised you're feeling lost, that's a lot to take on board. They aren't silly statements, and no need to apologise. It tends to be a bit quiet on the forum at weekends, especially holiday ones, so it may be a little while before you get replies. However there's a wealth of experience and support amongst the members so in due course I hope you will begin to feel a bit less lost. Try posting on living with arthritis about the pain management, as more people look at that and will pick up your message.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Poor you tricity :(

Such a shock especially with a wee baby too!

There are lots of things you can try from wheat-bags to ice and tens machines to hydrotherapy. Has anyone referred you to physio?

As far as pain relief is concerned there are lots of options there too ideally your GP will prescribe an anti-inflammatory and a pain-killer. Trial and error is the way forwards with these as some can make some people woozy or constipated etc :?

You might benefit from seeing an occupational therapist too so you can get anything which might make life easier at home - even for lifting your little-one/preparing food for him/her.
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/LivingwithArthritis/Parentingwitharthritis
    I can also recommend from personal experience going on one of Arthritis-care's courses 'managing your long-term condition'

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement/Workshopscourses

The other good thing to do is talk about it - this is an ideal place as we all understand and get informed from reliable sources such as arthritis-care

Please join in on the forums - everyone will make you welcome

Love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. None of those questions are silly, they are the ones that everyone asks when they are first officially diagnosed and they are reasonable ones too. They are, however, unanswerable, because each and every one of us is different in how and where we are affected.

I began with an auto-immune arthritis when I was 37 (in 1997) and OA rocked up from 2010 onwards due to the joint damage caused by that. Of the two I far prefer the OA because it's far more 'honest' in how it affects me and dealing with it is fairly straightforward - it's a matter of the right sort of exercise, pain relief, heat and rest. It's sad but true that we have to wait until the damage has reached a certain point before replacements are offered. How has your GP been managing things for you up until now? I assume it was he who referred you the orthopaedic consultant.

One of the better aspects of OA is that if you have it in the right place then joint replacement can sort things out very well indeed. We have a lady on here who had both knees done at the same time and is now leading life as it can be lived but the majority of us on here are not in that luxurious position (and never will be). We do understand, however, the tiredness and frustration that these conditions bring - you are talking to the initiated. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Gwynedd
    Gwynedd Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi Tricity,
    I'm sorry to hear you've needed this forum, I'm new to the forum but I can say that the help,advice and support that you'll receive here is brilliant. It has helped me to know that I'm not alone, especially when family and friends don't seem to understand.
    I hope you get your pain management sorted out soon with the much needed support.
    Make hay while the sunshines
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello tricity
    And welcome to the forum ,
    At 65 I am much older ,and count myself lucky I got to my late 50s before arthritis came along, I would ask to see a rheumatologist to see why your joints are so bad it does sound like you could be deficient in something..Ie Vit D....I do feel for you being so young and with a child to look after..hopefully you can get some proper help very soon ..meanwhile talking to us can help a lot..
    Love
    Barbara