myths gratefruit

dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
edited 24. May 2015, 11:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just seen in the spring inspire that its a myth cutting out citrus foods will help arthritis.
there is no evidence that cutting out these foods will help to reduce the pain and inflammation associated with arthritis. citrus fruits are a great source of vitamin c which may actually be of benefit to people of arthritis given its role in the production of collagen which is the main structural protein found in cartilage.
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've not read my latest Inspire magazine, Joan.

It may well be true that citrus fruits are not harmful for OA but I think we auto-immuners, on DMARDS and anti-tnfs, have to beware taking them as they can interfere with the toxicity of our medication.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello Sticky
    its in the spring inspire. not the new one.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    They aren't harmful for OA but they are harmful for people who take certain tablets.
    People ask me about what they can and cant eat for arthritis when I'm volunteering. I have to point them to the Healthy Eating book and ask them to read that. Foods are like meds, different ones affect different people.
    A healthy diet is the best thing.

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Joan, how are you and Sue getting on? You are quite right, for some people grapefruit is perfectly OK, because they are not on any meds or are taking ones which won't be compromised by whatever-it-is in grapefruit, but others have to be wary. Isn't arthritis complicated? :roll: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    I can't eat grapefruit because of my hypertension tablets. Felodipine reacts with grapefruit to issue a larger dose which could be dangerous with BP.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein