Baby shower

juliep123
juliep123 Member Posts: 40
edited 26. May 2015, 09:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hope you don't mind me asking but I know a few of you are nana's or have children - I've been invited to a baby shower in June and wondered if I should take a present. Its a good friend whose pregnant and I would get her a gift anyway but I've never been to a shower before and don't want to be the only one to turn up empty handed !! What actually happens at a baby shower anyway? My children were born before this became popular so I've never attended one before
Thanks

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Never been to one either Julie

BUT the ones I have seen on TV they take a pressie so I would in your shoes especially as she's a very good friend of yours :)

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    In the USA (where I think they originated) the idea of a baby shower is for the mother to be 'showered' with baby gifts. To a grumpy old Yorkshirewoman (Yup, that's me :lol: ) this, like that other US custom 'Trick or Treat', is considered organised theft but my US daughter-in-law loved not only her own but also those of her friends. You may wish to go for cutesy baby clothes but my advice would be to head for the E*rly L**rn*ng C*ntre – it's much more fun and you can play with the toys.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Or a gift for the Mum to be, some nice bath goodies, there are some nice mum to be and new new mum ranges out there
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • juliep123
    juliep123 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the replies. I will probably take something for the new mummy to be . They are not finding out the sex of the baby so I would rather get something personal for the baby when he/she arrives. I'm with Sticky on the Americanism creeping in -my daughter's prom last year was a nightmare !!
  • bimble
    bimble Member Posts: 42
    I'm with SW on the U.S. customs. Why should people be obliged to give treats to kids or gifts at a baby shower? However, these things do become the norm so it would be awkward not to take anything I suppose. Unless you could say, possibly in advance, that you would prefer to buy something when the baby is born. There is also the assumption that a pregnancy always ends 9mths later with a baby - things do go wrong.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I would always buy when the baby is born, but alas these things take over..like the others have said this is what baby showers are ..shower them with gifts..such a shame that it has gone like this..PS I have never been to one.. :)
    Love
    Barbara