Reynaud the fox

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 1. Jun 2015, 05:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just had huge dog fox in our back garden. Our cat sitting on the bedroom window sill was very surprised. :o

We have a copse of wood at the end of our garden and have seen foxes before but never in our back garden, usually out the front.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    A Mum and her gorgeous cub used to walk through our garden regularly until a neighbour built a fence. Urban foxes are, I believe, quite common now. We were a bit surprised when a deer ran across the road in front of our car a fortnight ago - outside the supermarket and heading for the High Street.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    We have a visiting fox here, but usually only when it's been icy for a while and they are hungry.

Stickywicket we are very lucky to live almost on Cannock Chase so regularly see deer crossing the road. So beautiful :)

I don't know where you are GraceB, but l hope your puss-cat would give any foxes wide-berth? :?

love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    We have a visiting fox who loves to make holes in our hedge. The birds in the trees make an awful noise when he is about.

I do worry about the neighbourhood cats Toni but there are rats around to keep the fox well fed.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    tkachev wrote:
    We have a visiting fox who loves to make holes in our hedge. The birds in the trees make an awful noise when he is about.

I do worry about the neighbourhood cats Toni but there are rats around to keep the fox well fed.

Elizabeth x

Thanks Elizabeth that's reassuring :)

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    lol Toni! Don't worry, the rats don't come near the house, they stay around the compost at the bottom of the garden, for obvious reasons. We just can't seem to shift them.

I think they, the rats and the fox,all live in the wasteland behind the garages which is close to our property.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Grace we have foxes but I haven't seen then in the garden .but one night it was snowing and I saw 2 of them crossing the rd..mind you the man has chickens so they were would smell them...
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Not seen him since, so he must be enjoying someone else's garden.

Here in Kent (we're about 15 minutes from the Channel Tunnel) we do tend to get a good range of wildlife, both urban and completely rural.

Thankfully, my cat is so timid she doesn't go out at night. I'm sure that a large fox could easily carry a small cat off without any bother!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Foxes frequent our garden and I am happy to see them as I like to think that they might stop the stray rabbits from eating our lettuces amongst other things.The other week as we were setting off for bed the outdoor security light came on and there by the kitchen window was a young fox,probably last year's cub. More recently a week or so ago an old grey fox appeared on the terrace a yard or two from the window.They are partly attracted by the bird table and hanging feeders. The drawback with them is their mess and if my daughter's dog is coming to stay I have to do a tour round to make sure the place is clean as dogs have a tendency to roll in it.
    Finally I like to hear a vixen howling at night in the autumn looking for a mate - a real country noise.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    We had a dog fox in our garden a few years ago, scared the living daylights out of me! It was huge and lovely though. Our house is 3 houses down from a wood and we do usually see foxes but out the front very late at night!