Doorbells

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 26. May 2015, 16:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
We've been in our bungalow for a little over 5 years and during this time we have despaired over the number of battery doorbells we've had pack up on us.

So, we decided to bite the bullet and put a wired doorbell in so there's no "interruption" between the bell push and the ringer thing you have indoors. (I don't know the proper name for that bit - sorry!).

Internet research duly started. We were amazed when reading reviews at the amount of bells that "although it dinged, it didn't dong" and "the bell didn't go dong".

Personally I prefer a more melodic doorbell but we now have one that - hopefully will "ding" as well as "dong"! :lol:

Any of you got one of those bells where it sounds like you have a ferocious dog indoors?

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We have to have a battery-operated system due to the location of the bell but our new one is wireless - one receiver is plugged into the end of the island in the kjtchen, the other (which has batteries in it) is in the sitting room which is further down the house. It was easy to set them up to chime together but there was not a barking dog option - I chose the basic 'ding-dong' and they do both.

My parents had a very old doorbell (I guess it was wired in) but the button would stick so you only got the first bit - a little later on it would free itself and you would hear the other, would dutifully trot to the door thinking someone was there and they weren't! Go to the shops and try some - it's fun! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    We have one of the wireless ones but I am fed up of changing the batteries..we have a friend that has all sorts of tunes on hers..but I like the idea of a dog barking... :lol: wounder if it realistic.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Ours is wireless, & the best we have had over the years. It plays tunes, but we just set it to a normal 'ding dong,' apart from over Christmas when it played Jingle Bells.

Our beautiful Golden Retriever rarely barked when the doorbell rang - he would have been a hopeless guard dog.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    One of the options on my son's new doorbell was Fur Elise but I'm not sure Beethoven would ave recognised it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Am delighted to say ours is working! Well, it was apparently when a man came to read the gas meter today ... :roll:

The meter reader was rather surprised when my OH opened the door to him and expressed his pleasure the doorbell worked! It was then explained to said meter reader the difficulties we'd had with doorbells and the fact at least we'd now know when someone actually comes to the door.

The dog barking option on our old one was reasonably realistic but as our cat wouldn't have liked it, we were never able to use that choice.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!