Hi Everyone

judyw5
judyw5 Member Posts: 18
edited 27. May 2015, 13:35 in Say Hello Archive
Hello. This is just to introduce myself. :)

I have both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis as well as degenerative disc disease in my lower spine. Last year l had an op on my shoulder to remove extra bone and just before Christmas I started on Hydrochloriquin which has made a great deal of difference to the stiffness and pain. Meanwhile my back trouble has flared up but is improving.

My present struggles are with fatigue and low fever which means I sweat a great deal and feel awful. The rheumatologist put me on Methotrexate recently but I had to stop taking it as it made the fatigue much worse along with dizziness and depression. I see the Rheumatology Nurse tomorrow and I am hoping that there is something they can give me for the fatigue.

Does anyone have experience of the various RA drugs and their affect on fatigue? It's not an issue I was expecting to have to deal with.

Regards

J

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello judyw5

Welcome to the forums from the Moderation Team.

You should find plenty of support from the members here who have lots of experience of different types of arthritis and the challenges it can bring.

Please do join in wherever you wish you will be made very welcome. If you have any problems using the boards feel free to send a personal message to one of the team.

Best wishes

Moderator AC
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello judyw5 and a warm welcome to the forum..
    I was diagnosed with OA, quite a few years ago now..but when I last saw a rheumy they think something else is going on...don't think I will be much help, but I regularly have a fever and fatigue ..I have heard the RA people on here saying they just cant cool down..
    Any questions you have post in Living with Arthritis and hopefully someone will be along with more help..and we have chit chat this is anything but arthritis...hope to see you posting more very soon...
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Judy. I, too, have RA and OA plus osteoporosis but so far (touch wood) my spine is more or less intact.

I take both methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine for the RA. I think hydroxy on its own is only a very mild DMARD but, in combination with others, can be very effective.

I only get fatigue problems occasionally either the day after I take my meth or the day after that. Usually I'm OK.

However, it might simply be that your fatigue is due to the RA not being properly controlled. Now that really does cause it and no mistake. If so, with luck, the meds will sort it.

Other DMARDS which your nurse might suggest are sulphasalazine and leflunomide either alone or in combo.

Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have need to find us. I have psoriatic and osteo arthritis, plus fibromyalgia and yes, I am tired all the time but in a different way to how I used to be. I am on a triple therapy for the PsA (I take injected meth weekly, injected humira fortnightly and six sulphasalazine tablets daily) and my PsA is well-controlled but pain levels are a different matter and the fibro makes me a constantly 'Sweaty Betty'. :roll:

Despite the meds my PsA will occasionally flare (usually in the summer during humid weather) and then that utterly-drained-nausea-inducing-I-can't-wake-up level of tiredness will return. I suspect that your RA is not under as much control as one might wish but we cannot advise on that, it's a matter for you and your rheumatologist. Over the years I have tried the following DMARDs in varying combinations: meth, leflunomide, sulph and cyclosporine, plus the following NSAIDs: Celebrex, naproxen and diclofenac. I have had very little trouble with side effects from the meds so count myself fortunate in that. Fatigue is part-and-parcel of our conditions but it can be alleviated if one can find the right combination of medication. I hope you find something to suit you - please let us know how you get on. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello and welcome - I'm another member of the 'doubles' club, with RA and some OA too.

I always feel extra-tired when I'm in a flare, or my RA is being rather nasty. I was told when diagnosed that fatigue plays a big part in RA, & that it's important to rest when you need to - not always possible, of course. I do find I sweat more too, especially in my hair, of all places, which I never did before.

I take humira and hydroxychloroquine at present, though my rheumy thinks humira is not as efficient now after seven years.

You might be offered a steroid injection, which, if successful, might 'pep you up' for a time. I had one in April & it's helped me considerably.

Take care, & let us know how you go on.
  • judyw5
    Thank you so much everyone for your welcome!

It is good (in one way) to know that others are experiencing similar symptoms and I am very encouraged by the thought that finding the right combination of medication to get the RA under control should also help with the fatigue.

I will let you know the outcome of my visit to the nurse tomorrow.

Blessings.

J

PS Theresak, I too get very damp in my hair .... It plays havoc with my hairstyle - undoes it in less than half an hour and leaves it as flat as a pancake! grrr
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope your nurse will suggest something that helps. Often it's a matter of persevering long enough for them to work and, in some cases, for the initial side-effects to die down. However, if you are feeling depressed do mention it as a course of anti-depressants might also help you to cope with the arthritis.Several people on here have found that to be so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • judyw5
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I am starting a new thread in a moment containing a summery of our conversation re fatigue , as when I first explored the forum topics I could find very little about it. So I think others may be encouraged by what you have said to me.

May continue to post here too. Have upped my amitriptyline slightly for a couple of days (prescribed for the pain) and the depression seems to have receded for now.

Blessings

Judy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    A late welcome from me too Judy :)

Nice to meet you.

Like you I think I have a bit of everything going on and when the inflammatory arthritis is flaring can be totally whacked to the point of falling asleep anywhere so totally understand how you feel.

Hope to see you around on the forums

Love

Toni xxx