How many steps?

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 29. May 2015, 04:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
After a diagnosis of osteopenia, I'm trying to fit more exercise into my day. I've downloaded a pedometer onto my phone, but am struggling a bit to find out how many steps I should be taking daily, for someone in my position - age 69 with OA in knees and feet, fibro and hip bursitis.

I know that 10,000 daily steps is the guideline for fit people, but what about those not so fit? Any ideas? :?

Meg

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My take on it is that anything more than two hundred is heading in the right direction. I ignore the 10,000 recommendation as it bears no relation to my abilities whatsoever. I bought a pedometer but was unable to rip out the plastic tab to activate its battery :) .

I've just taken some rubbish from the kitchen down to the wheelie bins at the end of our drive: 140 steps there and back. From the kitchen to the bedroom is 80 there and back but we do have a long house. I reckon it all adds up, Megrose, no matter what amount what we do. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'd doubt there is an easy solution. What I'd do if it were me would be to wear it for 3-4 days (Is it like an ordinary pedometer that clocks up your steps as you go?) and see how many steps I averaged in a day. Then aim to gradually increase it. I'd also average out a week so that, if I did a lot or a little one day I could even things up later. I believe strongly in easing oneself into more exercise. I's much easier to keep up that way and not get disheartened.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Oh DD, you did make me smile with you being unable to take out the plastic tab. Not really funny, I know, but...

I think you've both given me sensible advice about this. The pedometer is actually an app I downloaded onto my phone, so I just put my phone into my pocket and off I go. Yes, Sticky, it works just like an ordinary pedometer and counts your steps as you go. Magic! Averaging out the number of steps in a week is a good idea, so I will be doing that. And I agree that it's much better to ease yourself into exercise.

I think I'll probably have a better idea after a week or so of the gradual increases I can make. The app shows you the information as a bar chart over the past 7 days and also gives you the calories burned. I love gadgets!

Thanks for your help.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That does sound to be a very useful gadget - so many apps are a waste of time, space and effort but that one? Sounds good to me! I once counted the paces to our ex-local The Fat Cat, it was 600 there and around 550 back (outward journey uphill, homeward downhill and beer-assisted :wink: ) .

Whatever you achieve is good and this may encourage you to develop some extra ways of increasing what you do; I may trot up and down the drive twice or thrice per day, especially on the rougher days because it isn't too far and I can easily get home again! Good luck, please let us know at a later date how you are getting on. DD

PS Just a thought: this may be a good topic for LWA, newbies who are not familiar with the forum may be interested.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Which app did you pick ? i had a look but there is so many. Mig
  • Megrose489
    Hi Mig. My son found it for me. It's called Pacer. You can download it for free from iTunes.

Meg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    My phone also has an app on it. I think it's Samsung health and the only time I ever did REALLY well was the day of Lucy's charity night :lol: I actually did do nearly the target of 10,000!!!!

Love

Toni xxx