MTX injections

Pedz
Pedz Member Posts: 41
edited 31. May 2015, 12:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
i might have to start self inflicted meds i have no idea what to expect if anyone has any information or experience with this i would love to here from you, this is to bypass my stomach as the tablets are reeking havoc with it
Thanks in advance
Pete
before you can live a part of your life has to die, most people will never experience this.....guess i have a gift.....

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've been doing this for years now, the words 'doddle' and 'time-saving' spring immediately to mind.

I used to have to go to the hospital once a week for my 15ml injection, sometimes I would be in and out within ten minutes, other times it could take well over an hour with waiting. I was already experienced with self-injecting thanks to taking Enbrel and then humira but my hospital (at the time) was making their own meth. They then changed to the new system of three months' worth being delivered to me so I can play nursey at home.

It is a straightforward procedure and I am sure you will be offered some training. I now have the pen type and it is very easy: I sit on the bed with my legs out straight, clean a patch of skin on the upper thigh, remove the cap from the syringe, pinch a bit of skin, locate the pen, press it down to release the trigger then press the trigger. Done and dusted in under five seconds. I alternate thighs to keep my stomach area clear for the humira, but for you it would be possible to use alternate sites every week, varying between the upper thigh and the stomach area (but not too close to the navel). We have fewer nerve endings in the stomach so it's not as bad as it sounds!

You may occasionally bruise after, it may also sting. If mine sting I either ring a friend or watch some mindless telly to take my mind off it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Pedz
    Hey thanks that sounds much less of a drama than I thought looking forward to the clinic now the tablets make me feel dreadful and the worst indigestion I have ever experienced like proper reflux for days after so we are discussing injections at my next visit, however I do have to say the MTX is working wonders with my joints,
    before you can live a part of your life has to die, most people will never experience this.....guess i have a gift.....
  • juliep123
    juliep123 Member Posts: 40
    I've been on the injections for 5 years now and have had no problems -the worst bit is the stinging afterwards but I just rub the site vigorously for a few seconds and this seems to work. I started injections because like you I couldn't tolerate the tablets and I have no regrets at all
    Good luck x
  • dreamdaisy
    I've just thought of another tip which others have used (especially parents who have to inject their young children): you can numb the chosen area with an ice cube (before not after cleaning with the alcohol wipe) because that can lessen any 'ouch' factor from the needle. DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Like you I had digestive trouble with meth tablets, swapped to injection 6 months ago, it's a doddle and so much more convenient to do it at home than have to trail in to hospital to get it done. I had 4 training sessions with the rheumy nurse where they supervised me doing it, then was let loose at home. It sometimes stings a bit, and I do bruise quite often, but it's a few seconds of discomfort and well worth it for the benefit to the joints. It has the added advantage of being more effective than tablets because it bypasses the stomach and all of the drug is absorbed.

Good luck with it, hope it does the job for you.

Deb xx
  • Pedz
    Hey thanks everyone feel much better about the situation now. 6 months ago i would never have dreamed i would be having these conversations but hey its here now and here to stay so i guess we have to do what needs done to have a better life, ok the brakes are on a bit now but stil loving life, but these was a moment when i thought nothing would be the same agin and felt cursed with this stupid disease that had sucked the fun out of life, but that said i was a bit old and trying to live my 20's for ever always abroad and when at home spinning around in my convertible ha ha yeah i know i'm 50 and now have a new found respect for my own mortality.
    I have sold my BMW and now have a ford :-( not quite pipe and slippers just a good reality check my girlfriend says just what i needed both feet o the ground all be it swollen slightly painful feet.... :-) but hey im still alive
    Cheers
    Pere
  • dreamdaisy
    For what it's worth I admire your matter-of-fact approach to this malarkey, it's a sensible way of dealing with it. It's good that the meth has been helping the joints, not so good that it brings all the other stuff with it. DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I agree with DD's sentiments, you have a great attitude and a wicked sense of humour which always helps. :wink: Some years ago, I was terrified of needles. I would cry, I would faint, I would need 2 adults and a nurse to support me with blood tests. These days, I think nothing of injecting my own meds and giving the nurses advice over which veins are the best for cannulas and bloods.

From frequenting these forums, I've noticed that people who switch from oraL MTX to injected find it a very positive experience in terms of lesser side effects. Anecdotal, I know, but I thought I'd let you know my 'findings' as it were.

The advice I was given; rotate the sites, pinch an inch of skin, quick stab with the needle, slow push of the medicine. It seems to work.
  • Pedz
    Like i said there was a period when i was devastated and couldnt bare to think about the future, but that has past now and have moved forward in leaps and bounds... Ha ha not literally though, i can find humour in most things not always appropriate though but shrimp ( girlfriend) keeps me in check ha ha but on bloods day or depo day the "little prick" is irresistible ah school boy humour... Never gets old
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Methinks Pedz that 'shrimp' has got you sussed :lol:

Toni x
  • Pedz
    Ha ha yeah she is my reality check, i could say she nags but i know its all for my own good,
    Dont know where i would be without the little minx, a proper soul mate she is lush