Alert from my neighbourhood watch

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 4. Jun 2015, 09:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
Traders are going door to door selling fish this fish is over priced of unknown origin and mostly unfit to eat.This is country wide and growing .

I got this message from our local neighbourhood watch who we are members of don't buy any you could get really ill and thats the last thing any of us need.Mig

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thank you for the warning Mig. We do occasionally get someone on the doorstep selling fish, but we've never bought from them. We have an excellent fishmonger, long-established in town, and buy all our fish there.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have a fishmonger who visits - all his stuff is 'kosher' so to speak (he does an excellent range of frozen fish) but I also purchase fresh from the market and the coast (if we head that way). I know we are lucky in living near the coast, for those who are further inland this must be a danger. Well done to your local NW scheme - I will shortly be involved in setting one up for our road: something nasty happened to my neighbour on Bank Holiday Monday morning. :( Do you know if your local Trading Standards have been informed?

I never buy anything on the doorstep. It's far too risky. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    It was trading standards that sent out the alert to neigh hood watch groups.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah - DimwitDaisy strikes again! :oops: My apologies, Mig, it's been one of those days. :(
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    There have been a lot of posts going round on FB saying men in white vans are going round either selling dodgy fish or pretending to sell fish and actually stealing dogs. The police here have checked them out and say the ones here are cosher. I think some of the fish vans don't have any refrigeration so the fish is probably going off as the day goes on. Yuk.
    Christine
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    We have our regular fish man coming round ,so know his van, but we have had the others ones round..apparently they let you choose the fish, usually in bulk and then they will carry it to your home, but they will then swop the fish for out of date stuff, or fish that is a lot more cheaper than the one you have chosen... :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I never buy anything from door to door salesmen as as DD says it is far too risky. However I did get food poisoning once and it was from scallops at a 'posh' expensive restaurant so you ca never be certain.

I hope your neighbour is okay DD. Intimidation is often used and can be very frightening.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein