These things are sent to try us

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 9. Jun 2015, 04:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
That was one of my Mum's favourite sayings. She was right. Again.

I don't do dressing up. It might be the arthritis and the mastectomy which, for years, have made dressing in anything difficult but I was never a feminine female anyway. I spent my early years getting mucky in the garden and my later ones in comfortable trousers and blouses.

I agonised over what to wear at a wedding last week. The family in question had already seen both my 'decent' outfits in every possible combination at previous weddings, christenings and funerals. I was worried I might turn up in the outfit I wore to the bride's first wedding. I even hate clothes shopping though I realise I am a traitor to my sex. And, yes, that includes online clothes shopping. It's the whole difficult, painful, tiring and utterly boring business of trying things on to ensure they fit. I almost always have something in the wardrobe that is still in its year-old, unopened packaging.

Plus, I loathe Disney. (Can you see where I'm going with this?) To me it represents instant diabetes with its saccherine, insincere, fake sweetness. I have only ever been to Disneyland once and that was because my USA dil loves it and wanted a family trip. (It's just an hour and a half down the freeway from them.)

Yup, Mr SW (aka Victor Meldrew) and I have been invited to a 60th birthday party, everyone to dress as Disney characters. The concept of a room full of 60-70 yr olds in Disney garb is surely the stuff that psychological torture is made of?

Not a chance. Not a fluffy Disney kitten in Hades chance. If my beloved Grumpy wished to don a bulbous nose and a hood and go in character I'd have no objections but he is as Disneyphobic as I am.

We are hastily organising a prior engagement.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    :shock: :o :shock: :o:lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    :o:lol::lol: I'm with you on this one.....I just don't do fancy dress never mind dressing up..I am sure you will think of a way out... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    An evening spent surrounded by Disney characters sounds like my very worst nightmare. I don`t think I`ve `done` fancy dress since I was a child - however sad that may sound I do not feel deprived in any way.

A prior engagement sounds like an excellent idea.

PS I`m still agonising over a wedding outfit.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I quite enjoy the whole dressing up thing but a Disney theme? Children only. People do have strange ideas, my sister once went to a Teddy Bear's Picnic, complete with compulsory teddy. The only thing was it wasn't a children's party but a wedding!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I think I would have a prior engagement as well Sticky, Disney characters!!!! :shock: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Disney - YUK :shock: When you wish upon a star and all that. Now if it was a Dracula themed party, I'd be on the front row - I have the teeth for it. :lol:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    The mere thought of having to do fancy dress is bringing me out in a rash! I too would have a "prior engagement".

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    What an appalling notion. With the following twist, however, it could be better. The males have to go as female Disney characters and the females as male. I reckon Mr SW would make a wonderful Snow White! :lol:

I am happy to provide the reason for a prior engagement on the said evening, just tell me what you've said so I don't blow it if questioned. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Brilliant, DD :lol: He once did a very scary Widow Twanky in his college's panto. I think a 6'2" Snow White would be a bit of a novelty.

However, the family have agreed to stay over an extra night - or, if not possible, at least say they will :wink:

I didn't realise there were so many in the anti-Disney camp. Welcome one and all. My dil regularly has The Disney Channel on TV and it seems to be populated by infuriatingly ever-smiley kids with braces on their teeth. who think and act as their grandparents think kids behave. Or wish kids'd behave.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright