Bird Bath Blues.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 11. Jun 2015, 01:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well, in the interests of accuracy, it's more a case of bird bath browns. :(

We brought our bird bath with us when we moved, it's glazed pottery and I love it because it is in shades of blues and greens. In our old south-facing garden its water remained clear but in its 'new' location (I think it's south-west) it takes no time at all for the water to become cloudy and for an unpleasant brown 'sludge' to develop. Around 27 hours ago I removed the dish, lugged it across to the outside tap and both hosed and scrubbed it clean. I went to top it up this evening and yup, clear-ish water but new sludge.

There are plants around it, plus a wall which runs past one side but they are not right on top of it, neither do they shade it (it wasn't shaded either at the old house). I have today witnessed the following doing what they do in a bird bath: blackbirds, crows, magpies, collared doves and the B52s of the bird world, thumping great wood pigeons (they messily bathed while a blackbird wandered around underneath having a shower). The smaller birds ignore it.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I was once told that at certain times of the year birds are prey to mites that settle under their wings and they have dust baths to help get rid of them but whether it's the same for water baths I don't know.Wish I could remember where I heard it. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    One of us is missing the fairly obvious here and I'm going to stick my neck out in the hope it's not me :?

As I see it the birds in your former garden were a motley bunch of small scruffs who bathed only when necessary. Your current avian neighbours are rather more upmarket. They like a daily bathe or shower to remove all the detritus of life and that detritus then settles in the bottom of the bath. They then inform all their mates of your splendid, virtually cat-proof, facilities and before you know it, Old Uncle Tom Collard Dove Cobley and all have arrived.

As someone who has been swamped by males, in my home environment, for all my life, I can assure you the sludge at the bottom of the bath is quite normal. Just leave out the cleaning materials and a note saying the water has been cut off until they clean up after themselves – especially the wood pigeons.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Suppose its a mixture of algae and like Mig says dust off the birds...but if it didnt happen in your other garden ,try moving it out of the sun..but we have to replace the water most days in summer..
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    At least you have happy birds, albeit it slightly smudgy around the edges.

I now have this picture of you in my mind of a bird having a bath, you stood there with your fancy rubber gloves on, scrubbing brush and bleach to hand, ready to clean the bath after every visitor has enjoyed it. :)

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    Scene: Court No 1 at the Old Bailey. A lawyer is pleading the case for his client.

'Is it age? Is it the disease? The meds? Tiredness? Or just sheer, plain stupidity? My client, M'lud, is a bird-brain of the first order (one should also pay heed to the hair colour which is entirely natural in its origins) and as a result show clemency towards m'client. She promises to clean the bath on a regular basis by chucking its contents over the giant fern which is thriving and to ensure a constant supply of clean water for her dirty, dusty birds. The defence rests its case.'

g138.gif

The verdict is in. DD is indeed guilty of nothing more than stupidity. Regular checks will be made by the relevant authorities to ensure she is keeping her word. :oops:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Might a plea of insanity be worth a try :lol:

Just change your meds. You'll be fine :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Just a thought, probably completely wrong. Are you in a completely different area where the water might be hard and your old area had soft water? No, forget it. I'm completely mad. :oops: :lol:

Maybe your new bird neighbours are the pigpens (snoopy character) of the avian world.

g060.gif g060.gif g060.gif

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    kathleenT wrote:
    Just a thought, probably completely wrong. Are you in a completely different area where the water might be hard and your old area had soft water? No, forget it. I'm completely mad. :oops: :lol:

Or even the opposite???

Kath might have a point........ :?
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    The pigeons are likely the main culprits. Their big feet are often crudded up, and their feathers have a lot of dusty stuff on. If you ever have one fly into a window it leaves a very clear Caspar the ghost impression behind which takes ages to go away. When I had a pond if the dratted things had been bathing there would be a terrible mess left behind, and in the end they caused the demise of the pond altogether by puncturing the liner with their claws. As the water level dropped they would go further and further in making more holes, until I had to get rid of it completely as there wasn't enough water for the dozens of frogs and newts.
  • dreamdaisy
    A good thought there, KathleenT, but no. Very hard water abounds in my neck of the woods, East Anglia is renowned for the resulting scale damaging household kit. I was watching the wood pigeons over the weekend and witnessed them raising their wings and draping them over their heads whilst they had a thorough 'go' at their 'armpits'. The air around here is very dusty (with what I have no idea but the car gets very gritty) so I guess the birds do too.

It'll be quiet on the bird front here today because we hare having a garage door removed and a new one fitted, plus new side door and window. There will be disruption. :wink: DD