Even if you don't like cricket...

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 2. Jul 2015, 08:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
you might find this amusing
The scene is the Summer Palace in Peking, Boxing Day, frozen lake, inter- Embassy cricket match.
" It was always a tough decision as to whether or not to wear skates, which were fast in the outfield, but made it difficult to balance when throwing the ball. The trouble with wearing skates when you were bowling was that you tended to arrive at the wicket before the ball, although if you were really quick you could do the keeper's job as well and stump yourself."

It comes from a book called Diplomatic Incidents (memoirs of an (un)diplomatic wife) by Cherry Denman, and I can thoroughly recommend it. Very funny and also informative.

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I like it, daffy!! I`m trying to imagine the scene. Mind you, watching our two grandsons play cricket this summer it`s just about been cold enough for ice to form!!
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I'm not a cricket person but that did make me smile. Thank you.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Me too Daffy :)

Thanks for sharing it :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I don't think I'd heard of this one before, daffy, so thanks.

There have been many very odd cricket matches over the years. I think my favourite is the one-legged team v the one armed team. (One legged's usually win.)

The Primary Club raises money for blind cricketers who play with a larget bal which has a bell inside it. Membership of the Primary Club is for anyone who has ever been out for a duck in any form of cricket. Mr SW wears his Primary Club tie with pride.

Our local club used to have an annual match between the Over 30s and Under 30s. It was called the Pugh Cup. (Say it and think about it :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    love it daffy..and it made me shiver... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    What a wonderful tale Daffy. I like listening to the Ashes on the radio, it is so peaceful and the commentators can be really funny, even without the late, great Jonners. :D

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein