shock from GP/ advice please for flying

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 24. Jun 2015, 03:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Sorry I have not posted much, again, but I do read other peoples posts and have not felt up to replying much , sorry. I had a shock result from my GP a couple of weeks ago and had an urgent referral made to the gastroenterologist. I had been having some troublesome symptoms which my GP started to investigate. One of the investigations came back positive for neuro endocrine tumours, and I have been seen by the gastro doc who has done more tests (blood urines and others :oops: ) and I am having a colonoscopy soon too. Not looking forward to it, but it must be done.
Dad has his next chemo this week, and luckily things seem to be ging quite well for him at the moment.
My joints are not giving me a break though! You would hope they would be more understanding really! I am going on a big family holiday, which has been planned for ages, after being cancelled once previously (causing loss of deposit) due to my hip problems. I am looking forward to the holiday, although I am worried about the flight, long haul, and being in pain and stiff during/after it. Any tips!? I will try to move regularly, and have plenty of medication to take with me.
Thank you for reading
NB

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh my word, NB, I am so sorry to read your post. It is good that your dad is doing better at the moment (and I hope that continues) but regarding your other news I have no advice or help to offer. As per usual you have a great deal going on and I hope you are able to go away as planned. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having yet more problems to face, NB, and I hope this one can be quickly resolved.

The only advice I could give is to be sure to get special assistance which will save a lot of standing at check-in, security and baggage reclaim. And drink plenty of water / fruit juice but not coffee or alcohol.

If your insurance was already booked before you saw the GP you'll be covered (but best to let them know anyway). If not then you now have that bete noir of travellers – an undiagnosed condition – and you won't be covered for anything they can connect to it.

I'm glad your Dad's doing OK.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks DD- I will be ok. I am sure .Just get through one thing at a time. Hope you are not feeling too bad with the flare x
    Hi Sticky- I have arranged with Virgin to have special assistance, not keen on a fuss so hope it is kept `fuss-less`! I am not sure I will be able to avoid all alcohol :lol: as it is free drinks!! But I won`t go mad, I promise.
    I am concerned about the insurance thing though- I had to search around for someone who would cover me with my dodgy twice dislocated THRs! I sorted it a while ago, and have my own cover whilst MR MB and kids are on a joint policy through the bank. (the bank won`t touch me and my stuff with a bargepole!) So, If I had my insurance before seeing the GP with these symptoms, I am ok? I am not keen to pay out another large premium for an unknown/undiagnosed as yet condition?
    Thanks
    NB
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Sorry you have so much on your plate at the moment, NB.

I expect you've thought of this already, but how about swapping the flight socks for some sexy surgical stockings?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Special assistance won't make a fuss. Remember they're used to it – it's you who aren't :wink:

As you'd taken out the insurance before this all kicked off you should be OK. I was when something similar happened to me but, in your shoes, I'd check with the insurers to be sure.

Your being on a different policy to the others means that, if you had a problem while away which necessitated you staying there longer, you'd be covered but Mr NB and others wouldn't so you'd be staying on and returning alone.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright