Have pre-op date & update on ankle op

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 1. Jul 2015, 17:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

You may remember I have an ankle op coming up 8th July? Well my pre-op for this is 25th June.

I've had the paperwork from the hospital and I have to be there at 7am on the day of the op. Usual instructions re nil-by-mouth for 5hrs before admission time, I can drink clear fluids until I leave to go to the hospital. Will check at the pre-op that I'm okay to have my meds as I'll need them for my other joints.

I've managed to get quotes for taxi in the morning as my partner has confirmed he can't guarantee being able to take me on the day and I can't take the chance of not having transport. My partner will pick me up in the afternoon but I have my lovely neighbour on stand-by just in case he can't do this.

I'll have to get a sick note for work and here in Kent our hospitals don't write these out so I've got an appointment organised with my GP for 11th July to get that; also have wound check/dressing change and stitches out appointments organised. With my GP surgery there's no point trying nearer the time as it'll be impossible to get these sorted, hence doing them before.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Blimey Grace!

You are so organised!!

Well done you :D

I hope the pre-op goes as well as your organisational skills as well as your actual operation.

I go to France on 24th so wish you best of luck now

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Well, that's an efficient start you've made there, well done! I hope the rest of the processes go as efficiently and we'll be here to cheer you on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I can only echo frog and DD. Good luck, Grace.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I salute your organisational skills Grace, and hope the op goes well.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Gosh how organised are you Grace well done, good luck for the op I ma sure you wont need it. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Sounds as though you have planned things well, were you a Girl Guide by any chance?
    Hope all goes well for you.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    Thanks for all your replies, they are very much appreciated.

I probably drive people nuts with organising things, but it's the only way I know how to deal with things. I am realistic enough to understand that not everything will go as I wish it to and like to think I am flexible and receptive to new approaches in order to get results.

I think having arthritis makes you more organised if that make sense? You know you have to split tasks down into bite sized chunks so you automatically apply this approach to life in general.

Take care and thanks again,
    GraceB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Grace sorry I'm late...I'm behind with everything at the min..
    I think that being so organized will help keep your mind off things..I do wish you well with the op and a speedy recovery..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hope all goes well, Grace.

It's good to get as organised as possible. Are you equally organised for your recovery period, to make things as easy as possible? (Things you'll need to hand, things to read/watch/listen to, some meals in the freezer etc.) I bet you've done all that too.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Good luck for the pre-op, Grace, I thought I'd post this whilst I remembered it's happening tomorrow because there's no guarantee that come tomorrow I will. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Me too :oops: :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Hi,

Thanks for your kind messages.

Pre-op check went well, first time ever I had an ECG as in this part of the UK as soon as you are 50 or over you have to have ECG before any op. Having reached this age back in May having an ECG was a new experience for me. :lol:

My ticker is good, BP is within normal range, blood samples were taken and MRSA swabs were done. My height and weight were measured :roll: unfortunately but I know this is a necessary part of the process.

I can take my meds on the morning of the op as I'm not on any blood thinners so that's good. Certainly couldn't manage without my pain meds.

So, now it's just a case of gritting my teeth until the op day comes round as my pain levels are unfortunately increasing daily with this ankle of mine.

And yes, I have to admit, I have had some ready meals delivered in with my shopping today as I thought they could be useful for just a few days.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    I think I've always had an ECG before any op, Better safe than sorry, anyway.

Far from 'admitting' to buying in ready meals, I think it's a very sensible option in your situation. There are some decent ones about if one chooses carefully. Waitrose reckon not to put any of what my Mum would have called 'muck and rubbish' in theirs. You can also pre-prepare your own meals and freeze them. At a pinch, a nice loaf, frozen Yorkshire pudds or naan bread will all make a decent substitute for potatoes.

Hop it goes well.

(That was actually a typo but I can't resist leaving it in :wink: )
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Well I now have a fixed price - in writing - for my taxi for next week and have got the taxi itself booked to pick me up 6.15am on the day. I do hope the taxi driver is not too "chatty" as I'm not a morning person. :roll:

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    So, you're all set. Good luck :D
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Thank you.

I am now pleased I had to turn down today - 1st July - for the op as with Operation Stack on here in Kent I could have been post-op in a car coming home for 3hrs to do a 25 minute journey in 30 degrees plus heat. Not a good idea! I am now hoping that all the kerfuffle will settle by next Wednesday as I need to have this op as the pain is worse every day.

GraceB