BP monitor induced high BP

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 4. Jul 2015, 09:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I suspect this is what yesterday's readings will indicate.

My BP has, for many years, been 'on the high side of normal'. A keen nurse decided to check me out with one of those all-day monitors. She put it in place, asked if it was comfy and took my BP with it at 9am yesterday. As I was leaving it started up again. “It sometimes does that” she said and re-started it.

By 9.33am I was at home brewing up. A beep made me check my washer hadn't finished but, no, it was the monitor starting up. I tried to continue but no way could I extract the milk from the fridge with that thing tightening its grip on me so I waited until it had finished.

At 9.39 (6 minutes later :? ) it started up again. Again I checked the washer :roll: Again I abandoned what I was doing – drinking the tea – as I couldn't get my hand to my mouth.

Unusually for me, I was starting to get a headache. The next three monitorings were on schedule. And the washer had finally finished.

11.43am – the machine went beserk. Four on the trot. It hadn't even gone down properly between them. It was just like a yoyo. From then on my headache increased and I began to notice just how much this thing was hurting, itching and scratching even when not operating.

I stuck it out, with more 'doubles' until 3pm. By now I'd realised I could actually read the findings. The 3pm double whammy was, if I'd read it correctly, 220 over 110 :shock: I got Mr SW to wrench the thing off. My arm was deeply lined and pink. And hurty.

I only ate half my evening meal. The headache was increasing and the arm hurting.

At 8.30pm I got myself another cuppa then abandoned it. The headache was dominating everything and I was feeling a bit nauseous. I retired to bed with a bowl, just in case.

This morning I felt OK but fragile. Mr SW, taking my monitor back for me (with an explanatory note) bumped into a friend who had, it turned out, had a similar monitor on Monday. He blamed it for his high BP. He'd had to pull the car in to the verge on the way home when this beast gripped his arm too tightly for safe driving.

I still have a large, pink, hot and tender mark on my upper arm. I think, by tomorrow, when I see the GP for a follow-up appointment, it will have turned into an interesting bruise. I suspect my BP probably does require pills but I do hope the verdict doesn't rely entirely on the interpretations of that sadistic, self-serving monster.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sending sympathy and complete understanding.....I too endured one of those grippy monsters for a complete 24hours, it was dire. Unfortunately mine kept slipping down my arm so that I had to push it up again....picture the scene, it was December, we were on a family outing to the German Christmas Market in Birmingham, the rest of the family were enjoying the lights, the atmosphere, and the food! Me, I was miserable, the sleeve of my coat was bulging every time the cuff inflated and I was certain everyone was looking at me like a freak because of the noise it made as it inflated repeatedly. There were lots of double or triple measures, and I hated every minute of it :oops: I had a completely sleepless night and was heartily glad to be rid of it the following morning. The upshot was that my BP was high normal, but not high enough to need treatment. On the advice of the nurse I purchased an electronic BP monitor for home , and when I go for monthly bloods take a series of 3 or 4 readings for that week, which are ok. It seems I have what they call "white coat syndrome" which sends my BP spiralling at the very sight of a BP machine at the hospital or doctor's surgery.

Hope the headache and bruising fade quickly.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I remember my rheumatologist telling me that she took no notice of the BP readings done in clinic because they were stress-induced on a number of levels: you had just walked into the side room where they were done, you were waiting for an appointment, you may have had a problem parking etc. all rendering the results of the grippy, squeezy, throttly thing redundant. Why do it? :? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    My Mum has just worn a continuous ECG recording gadget for 24hrs (not very long I thought) to capture whatever is causing her to have palpitAtions & strange feelings. She says she barely had an episode while she was wearing it, but felt quite unwell on bus coming home. There's no doubt something is not right, I've felt her pulse when she is having an episode & its really rapid & irregular. Wonder what the report will show.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I remember my Dad once had to wear one of those. They're a bit awkward but at least not vicious like the BP ones. I hope your Mum is OK. It must be worrying.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Fionabee, is there any news on your mum? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Another one I am late seeing..I had a 24 hours blood presure monitor, it sent my presxure up evertime it went off...mind you it does give a better reading than a one off
    Love
    Barbara