A carnival kitchen

LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 28. Jun 2015, 10:12 in Community Chit-chat archive
Mr LV and I are a little dotty in our interior design - we have a surfboard on the lounge wall and one at the top of the stairs and other things such as the pinky/ purple and sparkly disco shoe cupboard (for ordinary shoes but disco in it's appearance). Our kitchen faces a roof of the house behind us (we live on a slope). It gets a tiny bit of sun on a summer's morning and other than that, despite being painted white with a bit of purple, it is largely a little dark and gloomy. We've decided to give it a face lift since the white didn't cheer it up. We are going carnival with lots of different bright colours like you see in the caribbean or Mexico where conservative tends not to come into it. Our second hand dark wood and scratched kitchen table will join the carnival and each chair can go a different but bright colour. Are we mad? Possibly. Will it make us smile? Definitely. We just need to decide which range of over bright colours to go for. I'm thinking yellows, blues, oranges, reds and pinks...any suggestions?
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Are you mad? No, just wonderfully different.

I still recall, with great affection, the house of some friends. About six different doors led off their hallway and each was painted a different bright colour. It was stunning.

Go for it, LV. You can't afford to miss out on a bit of livening and cheering up. And I bet the girls will love it.

P.S. My son is a great believer in Yacht Varnish for repelling stains. He went through a phase of covering every table and coffee table in the house with it. (He has a small boy. And still is one himself.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh I love it LV, wish you could put a pic on when you have finished.. :D brighter the better I say...you have to live there..and I bet the girls will love to help out...when our sons were little we used to let them do coloured hand prints on one wall...they are still there but sadly covered up now.. :(
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Sounds wonderfully different, just don't go in there with a hangover! Seriously though although I don't have the courage to push things as far as that I am planning to have some redecorating done myself soon and magnolia is NOT in my colour scheme. In particular I am very fond of the original 1930's tiles in my bathroom, a soft yellow and pale jade green and the matching pale green bathroom suite.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    Mr LV doesn't know that I have already decided one side of one cupboard shall be painted in blackboard paint. I'm loving the hand prints idea though and I think we may have to find a space for them.

I'm thinking that our cellar door which is made of long panels can go a different colour on each panel. I am yet to explain that one to Mr LV too. I shall let his excitement at being unleashed with loads of colour get to it's height before I break the news about the endless amounts of detail and work it will involve. I do none of it. I'm just the official colour picker :D

Slosh, I have a real thing for those pale green 1930s tiles. I get all gooey when I see them in public and Mr LV can't understand my love of them. Neither can I but I think they are such beautiful things.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Colour helps, there's no doubt about that and your choices sound good, but have you thought about fairly lights? I love them - they are not just for Christmas! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    You are obviously a woman of taste LV! I was thinking about getting my bath replaced with a shower until I realised it would mean getting rid of my tiles!

My kitchen also has the original white tiles with black edging. They're not going anywhere either!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hi,

You need purple! Purple can be a wonderful colour. I should know as that, together with bright yellow, are my colours of choice. :lol:

Are you ready for the squabbles re who sits on which chair? You may need a rota.

I'm sure this is going to look absolutely lovely and, like the others, I wish you were able to post a picture of the finished project.

Hope the planning goes well and Mr LV has recovered from the shock of you having told him exactly what is now involved with this ...

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Pictures please when it's finished.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    It sounds fantastic. I once painted my kitchen yellow with yellow and green curtains with animals on and a bright yellow and green table cloth. I had 4 very old kitchen chairs which I was going to paint in different colours - red, green, yellow and blue - but I never got round to it. Not as colourful as yours will be. I'd love to see pictures once it's done.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,334
    I love the idea as we have a dark kitchen too. Garden slopes upwards and houses are at the end of it :( I have no less than 16 LEDs in here and they are on most days.

My bro painted each person's name on the back of a chair for his solid, ancient table/chair and they looked lovely

Glass and mirrors reflective surfaces to bounce any light that your colours cause???

Photos definitely required yes please :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've just remembered. We got some of Dulux's 'light and space'(?) paint for our living room walls. The range is supposed to be light enhancing. I don't know if they do gloss in it. I do know some colours in themselves can either enhance or suck up light but this is all I could find on it http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/design/colour_lightcolour.shtml Interestingly, in view of what you said, it does say that painting a dark room white won't help as 'white without light looks grey'. I think most of the colours in the range I wrote about are on the yellow / orange spectrum.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    Thank you all. We definitely need some regal purple and I have decided chilli fairy lights can be strung against one wall. I've always wanted chilli fairylights since seeing them in Texas (in the last century but they stuck with me). Mr LV seems a little less interested in the idea now he realises the level of detail I have planned. We have a corner by the back door which is going to be treated with chalkboard paint with hand prints in the corners, our house is tiny and we might as well make fun use of all nooks and crannies, the girls will love it. You've given me loads of inspiration, thank you. SW - I now look at the white and just see the grey, very true sadly.
  • Slosh
    I am planning to have some decorating done in my house but for the present I'm not planning to do anything major in my tiny kitchen as I can't face the disruption of having the units replaced. When I moved in 13 years ago I painted the kitchen cupboard doors with blue cupboard paint which has lasted quite well but there are now a few marks and scratches. Today while looking for inspiration I found fuschia coloured cupboard paint! I am now taking a leaf out of your book and planning some strategically placed swirls of fuschia on the blue.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I'm with you on the chairs LV as I have the same in my kitchen. Lots of bright colours look lovely together and inject fun into an otherwise dull room.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein