Memory foam mattress

lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 29. Jun 2015, 18:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all xx

We have recently gone from a memory foam topper as my quality of sleep has declined massively !!

We did a lot of research as to the best type of mattress and have gone with a visco therapy one ! Only it was too hard and turning over was slightly easier but the sleep quality wasn't ! After much persuading with the hubby he's let me put our old topper on the new one! It's worked a treat ! I wouldn't say I'm pain free in bed but it's certainly helping !

My question is has anyone been in a similar situation and should the bed give a little ?

Thanks xx

Comments

• TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi. I also have a memory foam topper on my mattress, but it's quite an old bed/mattress. I find it comfortable though and can't sleep on 'new' or firmer beds (or even full memory foam expensive ones) as I need my joints to 'sink in' abit. If I'm away from home and the bed is too hard i have to put fluffy towels or a spare duvet under the bottom sheet to make it softer to lie on. I did ask my osteopath if I should buy a new bed (mine is 22 years old!) but he said if it was comfy to leave it (he asked if I woke with back ache and I don't) so i'll keep my old one for a whie longer.......
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    We've had so many threads on mattresses and I think that's because there's no one remedy. It's whatever suits you. You seem to have found the right combination and that's good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    I had an ortho mattress and found it too hard for sleeping on my side as my OA worsened. A mattress topper worked for me too. However, in the winter I missed my electric blanket, so swapped the topper for a thick duvet to lie on.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • lynnemarie1123
    I would have loved to see more advise out there for mattresses ! It's a mind field xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I have 2 mattresses, one on top of the other. They were comfy for a while but now I'm not so comfy. Mattresses are way too expensive to get it wrong. Wish we could try them out for a few months before committing to one.
    Christine
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    try them out
    I have seen a company offer this - I think it was a month's trial for memory foam - but possibly not something you'd find in a shop?
    The other thing to think about is what type of bedbase you are putting the mattress on. Some combinations may not be compatible, so care is needed if a new mattress is being put on an existing base which may have had a different type when originally purchased. A basic slatted base may make a mattress feel harder and less supportive than a sprung divan base for instance. The mattress companies or somewhere like John Lewis should be able to give advice about what sort of base will suit particular mattresses.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    When you think about it advice isn't really an option because it all comes down to personal preference. We recently went to research the options for buying a new bed and found ourselves a very informative and helpful assistant; two hours later and much to our surprise we ordered two three feet singles which can be zipped together to make a very generous superking but parted when the next bit of surgery rolls around. My mattress is firm, his is medium, and the stuffing etc. is entirely natural materials including wool, linen, hemp and cotton. The days of having to have the same resistance across the entire bed have gone and about time too! We both loathe memory foam toppers etc. because it makes us too hot but our pillows are Tempur, and for us, brilliant. I am going through a very rough patch at the moment but it's eased by the pleasure of being in bed!

Yes, I agree it is a mine field out there but never be pressured or rushed by target-driven twerps, whenever researching a new bed it's pointless pressing the mattress with your hand, sitting on it for two minutes and lying on it for five, that's nowhere near enough time to determine how it is going to be for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnemarie1123
    Poor DD :-( I too am going thru a bad patch ! I like to blame the mattress but alas it's not its fault I'm in pain and can't sleep for it ! I'm having one of those episodes where this condition is getting me down big style ! I can't cope that I can't control it or make it go away :-( ! It's just getting worse !!!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    We certainly can't make it go away. If only :wink: Controlling it sometimes amounts to letting it have its way over the small things so that we can have ours over the big stuff. Try to prioritise and let go of all the 'unnecessary' things. (I've found, over the years, that most things are unnecessary :wink: ) I hope the injection will help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    You're right DD about it being personal preference, but it can be useful to try and eliminate some of the variables. When I needed to get a new mattress for a smaller bedframe I'd bought I had to make sure that whatever I chose would be OK on a sprung slatted wooden base rather than a divan base(which seems to be what most British mattresses are designed for) and got some useful tips on what to bear in mind when making my choice. A mismatch could also affect the guarantee.
    Your description of your zip bed reminded me of helping my daughter in her B&B, where the two biggest rooms had 3'6" mattresses linked or separated depending on whether twin or double was wanted. Changing the duvet covers on the double version was quite a workout and definitely a job for 2 and we took extra care to make sure there weren't any dirty marks or rips(the laundry's quality control wasn't always as good as we would have liked) before putting one on!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I thought about that, Daffy, and come the winter we will have a double duvet each. I managed to get a cover on my cotton 3tog superking duvet but it was a struggle so have bought the same in double duvets for next summer and lovely 4.5 goose down ones for the winter. What I lack are covers but not for long.

Thank you for the advice about the bed base because I hadn't thought about that, our old kingsize has a divan base and I must buy it a new mattress - at least the sales are in full swing. I wish I was. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    An additional 'variable' is that as arthritis progresses an originally comfortable mattress may no longer be so even though it's still in good condition. My 4 year old mattress was fine until about 9 months ago when I realised that as more joints had become tender I was struggling to be comfortable enough to get decent sleep.The support element was still fine, keeping my spine level, just the contact on hip and shoulder was the problem despite the fact that I already had a blanket and padded cover under the sheet . Fortunately the decision to replace a cotton filled duvet with something lighter and easier to handle solved that by becoming a topper providing a soft cushioning layer between me and the mattress. I'm hoping that'll work for a while as the next step would be a proper natural latex mattress, which is an expensive beast, especially in non-standard sizes.
  • judyw5
    judyw5 Member Posts: 18
    Interesting that our needs change as the Arthritis gets worse.
    We have a pocket sprung bed (mattress and base) with a lot of soft padding on top. Although we turn the mattress from time to time, I have made a nice comfortable hollow in my side of the bed. :D
    When visiting friends and family I expected that a memory foam mattress would be fine, but it isn't because it molds to my shape and has to re-mold every time i turn over, thus putting pressure on the joints. So I have bought a single down and feather topper which I take with me when I go visiting. It wasn't expensive and does for a few nights before it needs a good shake.
    My family are gradually getting used to my "funny" ways. :roll: