Injection in spine ?

Options
lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 27. Jun 2015, 17:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Anyone had injections in the spine ? What does it involve ? Does it tend to be done with anasetic ? Xx

Thankyou x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As I understand it, the spinal cord (nerves) is protected by discs of bone. These can sometimes become displaced, probably for more than one reason but arthritis is one of them. If the discs are displaced the nerve can be painful.

I think the injection is a combination of steroid and anaesthetic but I don't really know as I've never had one. I think people on here also write of a 'nerve block' injection but I don't know if that's the same thing or not. Sorry, not much use :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Anyone had injections in the spine ? What does it involve ? Does it tend to be done with anasetic ? Xx

Thankyou x

What type of injection are you having and where? I have had injections in most areas and can confirm yes they do use local antithetic around the injection area first to numb it. The most painful part is usually the injection of medication which is more like a deep pressure type of pain if you know what I mean. Sometimes they might use X-ray guidance or ultrasound or nothing at all depending on what type of injection you're having. They usually don't take much longer than 5 minutes but you're often in the room for about 20-30 while they set everything up and get you ready for the injection. I usually find that for a couple of days after the injections my back is sore in that area and try to rest as much as possible, which is very important to get the best outcome.

I hope the procedure goes well for you.
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Sticky - yes its because of my arthritis :-(

I'm not sure which type of injection it is yet ! Just had a letter back from my consultant with the results of my MRI, stating that I need a injection due to bulging discs which are pressing on my nerves and causing pain ?

She also mentioned wear n tear damage on my lower spine - but don't think they can do anything about that xx