Cant reach my ankle

Lotsofpain
Lotsofpain Member Posts: 157
edited 28. Jun 2015, 10:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Due to a combination of obesity abdominal pain and hip problems it is very hard to reach my ankle to put on a bandage / tubogrip etc

does anyone have any ideas other than asking someone else to help me

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think that some of the disability living sites have gadgets for putting on socks which might work for tubigrip? No ideas for bandages sorry, other than a friendly face that you trust with your vulnerability.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello lotsofpain. It's lovely to see you again but I'm sorry you're having problems.

Due to the RA in every joint, I've not been able to reach my ankles for years. I use a sock aid for socks and a long-handled shoe horn for shoes.

I'm wondering why bandages and tubigrip. Would an ankle support do the job? Last time I tried I could just about manage to get one of those on by a combination of pick-up stick, shoe horn and cursing :wink: They shouldn't be left on for a long time though as they encourage the muscles to weaken and that's exactly what we don't need. Also, if you're going to try, Please ensure you have someone with you who could take it off if you can't. The velcro can be very sticky indeed.

Why the abdo pain? Is your GP aware of it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Like SW I find the sock aid helpful..not sure it it would put on a tubigrip but its worth a try..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Lotsofpain
    Lotsofpain Member Posts: 157
    Sock aid sounds like a rock concert, Band Aid, Live aid , sock aid

Yes it could be an ankle support. got quite an interestng gel one gel one
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I was taught to use a combination of grabby stick in one hand and shoe horn stick in the other. Stretch out the sock top between the two and manouver the foot in. I was surprised how easy it was. Works for undies too.

Its shoe laces I haven't found a way to deal with yet!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein