Fatigue

Annia65
Annia65 Member Posts: 2
Does anyone have any advice on how to overcome fatigue. I have total arthritis, the only place it isn't apparent is my right elbow joint. Most of the time I can cope, but; we recently moved to a lovely house, there is so much I want to do. I rest, but get frustrated. I managed the move more or less on my own, my husband has heart failure so wasn't able to help much. I have bought a 'bullet' so am eating kilos of veg & fruit in liquid form. I do not eat meat. I don't drink alcohol nor do I smoke. Okay I am old, but hell, there is so much I want to do. :P

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Annia65

Welcome to the arthritis care forum. Fatigue is a really common issue on the forum, if you are able to search (use the search button which is blue just above the forum details) just type in fatigue and have a browse.

The Helpline team work Mond to Friday, I'm one of the forum moderators - we are the people to send a message to if you have any difficulties with the forum.

Take care
    Mod YEH
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Hi Annia. Welcome to the forum. I still work so get quite fatigued in the evenings but perk up a little at weekends. There are so many things I want to do, especially starting running again and changing jobs. Neither are likely to happen as I struggle to walk home after being out for a while and I am late for work every day. Just as well my boss is sympathetic. Not many would be. I think I have accepted what I can and can't do now. I rest often and sleep as much as I need. It is very quite here at the weekend but I'm sure a few of the others will be along soon maybe with some ideas which might help you.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Annia and welcome from me, too. Like the others, I'm not a member of the helpline team just an ordinary forum member.

Fatigue is part and parcel of arthritis, especially if you have an auto-immune form. It sounds as if you do as you say it is in all joints apart from one elbow. If so I assume you take DMARDS and have regular blood tests but these would have picked up on low iron levels (which can be a problem for all of us with auto-immune forms of arthritis) so maybe you have osteo.

If that's the case, low iron levels still can't be ruled out especially if you are a veggie. I speak as one who hadn't eaten meat for years until recently but my own iron levels kept falling (I'm on DMARDS for RA so regular blood tests) and my GP is very on the ball with such things so, in the space of 5-6 years, I've twice endured cameras both up and down me to ensure all is well internally :roll: It is, but I've decided from now on I eat a very small amount of meat weekly to keep up my iron levels and keep the cameras at bay :lol:

At the end of the day, a house move is extremely demanding both physically and emotionally whatever our age and even without arthritis. You have coped very well, especially given your husband's health issues. You might simply be exhausted from all that but it would be safest to get your GP to check you over. Please don't just self-medicate on over the counter iron tablets as the iron – or potential lack of it - might not be the issue. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Annia65,

Thank you for your post to Helplines. I'm sorry to hear about the frustration of your fatigue - and it's getting in the way of all the things that you want to do with the new house.

I hear that you are working hard on healthy foods - juicing veg and so on. But I wonder whether a physiotherapist might help you to discuss your physical situation and ways of managing arthritis.

One of the real difficulties of life with any kind of arthritis is that you may have to work around it at times - and although it may be necessary you may still resent it.

Am I right in thinking that you may be in a caring role as well as being the one who's in charge of the practical things in the house? Pragmatically I wonder whether the odd bit of help might lighten your load a bit?

Asking for help and pacing your self are all skills that people talk about on our self management courses. Here's a link to our information: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement

If you'd like a chat about your arthritis you'd be most welcome to ring us for some support.

Kind regards

Guy