The heat!

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 5. Jul 2015, 16:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
What is this weather all about? 30 degrees and potentially up to 35 tomorrow?! :o It's fine on holiday when you can relax in a swimming cossie with an endless supply of cocktails. However, I am at work and it's not fun. Blimmin' joints are swollen and I cannot convince my feet to get into any of my summer shoes. Grumble grumble. :| P.S. please feel free to add your moans here to make me feel less of a party pooper.

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's the sudden switches I find especially hard to deal with. Last week the wind was plentiful and cold and the daytime temperature was lower than current night times. My joints and muscles don't know what to do with themselves so are whimpering and whingeing, but as the pollen count is so high my sneezing is drowning them out mostly. Last week I managed to have a cold as well as hayfever which has resulted in a sore throat. So all in all I'm in fine fettle for a challenging choral concert on Saturday.... Jolly glad I've only 2 days at work and that's mostly in a building renowned for its chill factor;forays outside will be reduced to the minimum I can get away with!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Much too hot! I have never liked the heat and don't even do holidays abroad at this time of year. One good thing about being signed off work is not having to go in to work in a very hot and stuffy office. Perfect day today though, went to lakeside with my daughter and grandaughter, very quiet and air conditioned!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I struggle with the heat as well. I very often get friends and colleagues saying "oh the heat must help your joints". Unfortunately my joints swell in the heat and hurt horribly when it's wet.

The office I work in reached 80 degrees by 8.45am this morning, I have no idea what it reached as my thermometer only goes up to 80 degrees! I know it was like being in a sauna though. :roll:

I agree completely that when you have the situation that the thermostat applied to the weather is flicked wildly up and down it doesn't help at all.

I realise that some people thrive on the heat. I never have been a sun worshipper and now having hot flushes I try my utmost to keep in the cool.

I plan to get into work tomorrow early so I can finish early - I now only work all day Monday and Tuesday and up to 1.30pm on a Wednesday. I'm hoping to get away by 12.30pm to avoid the most intense heat in the office in the afternoon as that's when it gets trapped in.

I hope everyone manages to keep hydrated in the heat and that no one gets heat stroke.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's horrid. :( It will, however, pass :D because all things do. I have some windows ajar, the blinds and curtains will be drawn later and I expect to exceed yesterday's water consumption of six pints (first one already to hand because I've been doing some ironing). The grass is a lovely shade of brown and crumbly. I am a different shade of brown and grumbly. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think I can claim the party pooper award. I had to exit a restaurant last night as the alternative was to risk falling into my dessert :roll:

I thought I'd planned carefully. I'd drunk water copiously until setting out for our friends' and, when I realised we were to sit in the garden, I took the only chair in the shade, later swapping with Mr SW. But it was HOT and the long sleeved, thin cotton blouse I'd donned to prevent a meth rash was maybe, retrospectively, not the best idea. I had a very small glass of wine and a very large glass of water before leaving for the restaurant and a similar amount of wine but two glasses of water in there.

It was a tiny restaurant and the only air-con was an open door. I could have made it if only our hosts hadn't wanted a dessert. I had gone past Stage 1 – thinking how lovely it would be to just put my head on the table and Stage 2 – thinking dare I? I had arrived at Stage 3 – my head was likely to end up there with or without my permission. That was when I asked if they'd mind if I waited outside.

Today it's even hotter and MR SW is having a BBQ. All the windows are open, the fan is already wafting cool air my way and I shall contribute nothing but my presence. As always, in heat, my muscles have turned to water and bits that don't usually ache are aching. It doesn't help to have someone constantly telling you how lovely the sun and heat are. NOT FOR ALL OF US.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    My hubbies gone to the shops I smothered him in sun screen made sure he had his cap on and a bottle of water in his shopping bag,I on the other hand are sitting watching JK with the fan on me and a glass of iced lime juice,
    no cooking either he's bringing sausage rolls from birds which we will have for tea with salad and maybe a shandy. :D
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sympathies to you all. Due to my neurological condition my sensory nerves are damaged at the root so I cannot distinguish what the temperature is unless it is mega hot. I actually had my heating on this morning till I had my shower as the temperature in the house felt cool to me, it is the cold that is my nightmare, at least being in the UK it probably wont last for long xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    I am now enjoying another of the joys (?) that only fellow sufferers will appreciate. Sitting with a hot wheat pack on my neck and shoulders to ease the pain and a fan on in front to cool me down.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I do not like this humidity at all.......My legs are heavy my arms are heavy and its an effort to do anything.
    We went to the Metro Centre {Peter suggested going out for a drink/coffee} and I said only if it was the Metro Centre.....yesterday afternoon we were out and we sat outside {for a short time or so I thought} but I'm suffering with a headache etc
    Anyway we went to the Metro which was empty because of the lovely weather {for others} had our coffee, bought a new fan and headed back to the car {inside car park} I saw something I never thought I would see :lol: People in the car park but hanging over the side watching the rain, even some taking photos of it :? Admittedly it was rain like I havent seen in a long time, bouncing off the ground, surface water everywhere and mini floods in other places. It was so funny watching others :lol::lol: Well lets hope that breaks the humidity.
    Take care and stay as cool as possible
    Love
    Hileena
  • eminel
    eminel Member Posts: 23
    Sorry to hear you are all suffering in the heat. I'm in Edinburgh and the temp has been just right for me. It's been nice to feel a little freer. My headaches have eased up abit. They're not lasting so long. I know they'll be back full pelt soon as the weather turns so for now it's all smiles here. Oh also I have had a new orthopaedic cervical pillow arrive today. I can't wait to try it out so an early night is on the cards for me :)
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    It's been horrid here in my part of Kent today. When I went to work this morning at 8am my car temperature gauge was saying the outside temperature was 25 degrees. That was at 8am! After that it got hotter, and hotter, and hotter, and ....

I spent the morning at work dripping at my desk, drinking copious amounts of cold water, we had fans blowing and windows open. It was still dreadful.

This afternoon being at home was slightly better but then the humidity went absolutely mad and I dripped throughout the evening again. At this moment in time it's still 24 degrees and extremely humid. More dripping.

We live in a bungalow but because of Operation Stack (please see my post on CC) we will have to close the larger windows for security. We now have two fans in the bedroom so it'll be like trying to sleep in a wind tunnel! :lol:

For those of you who enjoy the heat I'm pleased you are able to do so. For the rest of us who are struggling, you have my sympathies.

I'm sad to say I'm now praying for rain, despite the fact it'll make my joints even sorer.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    I took pity on the garden and spent far too long on my feet with the hose (avoiding the bumble bees :wink: ) watering my very droopy hydrangea Arabella and the crumbly grass. This morning both are more sprightly. I also watered myself using the mist setting on the hand gun. Bliss. As per usual I am not so sprightly - wouldn't it be great is a hose-drenching could sort us out? :lol:

Today is mercifully cooler so after a 10am appointment I will escape to the coast, Aldeburgh to be precise, for a drop of culture, a spot of lunch and a lot of shopping. DD
  • mig
    I wish i was going to the coast with DD. Mig
  • Slosh
    Snap! My garden is a real suntrap and when I opened the back door yesterday to let some air in it was like opening an oven door. It wasn't until 9.00 that it was finally cooler outside than inside.
    Hoping that we get the promised rain today to freshen things up.

Fed up of dripping!
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    On the news last night they said people were going into Kew Gardens' Tropical House out of the heat :shock: as it was hotter outside.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    We had a brief shower this morning and I went out to stand in it for a while, very refreshing. Love the smell after a summer shower. Feels as sticky as ever now though.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    We had it all throught the night last night. Thunder lightening the lot. Lasted a long time.
    Due to have another one tonight. I can hear a rumbling in the distance {5.45pm} but nothing yet.
    Schools were hit last night and are closed now, houses hit etc etc
    Keep safe everyone
    Love
    Hileena
  • alumina
    alumina Member Posts: 40
    I'm glad to find other heat haters here! My joints are swelling and I had to take my wedding ring off because it was digging in! I am drinking more but that makes me weigh more! :shock:

So, I'm comfortably ensconced indoors with a nice Christmas jigsaw - very cooling! While I do the jigsaw, I am watching "Christmas in Connecticut" (1945 version) and they have just arrived on the farm with plenty of cooling snow outside. Bliss! 8)
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm sure you know this, Alumina, but it is important to keep very well-hydrated, water or tea are the better options rather than coffee and the fizzies; the body will take what it needs and you will excrete the rest via not only the kidneys but sweating too: any weight gain will be temporary. It is also important to keep up salt levels, last night I added a little salt to my home-made pasta sauce and the pasta cooking water. I never cook with salt so this was a real departure for yours truly! So far no cramp, however, so that is a good thing. My OA is enjoying the heat in that it's eased somewhat but my PsA is very resentful.

So, the coast. It was hugely busy (yuk) and very close (double yuk) but when some reluctant rain eventually fell it was like standing under a huge shower head with no water pressure. I ignored the culture, was too hot for lunch but the shopping was fab. :wink: The air con was on all the way there and all the way back: most civilised. :wink: DD
  • alumina
    alumina Member Posts: 40
    I do drink quite a lot as I have some kidney issues - not enough to need treatment but enough to need care! Water has always been my favourite beverage so I'm OK there. I hadn't thought of the salt issue though and like you, I am a bit minimalist about salt. I shall have the odd sprinkle!

Glad you enjoyed the coast. Nice to see the sea even if it was a bit on the warm side. :D
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead
  • stickywicket
    Retrospectively, I wondered if my restaurant debacle might have been due to low sodium levels as I gave up all salt, in cooking and on the table, when diagnosed with osteoporosis. For the last couple of days I have been happily munching on a few olives again just in case. Bliss :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    green or black ?
  • stickywicket
    Preferably green :D
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    A super easy recipe for home-made ice cream.

I found this recipe as I had a pint of double cream to use up, you don't need an ice cream maker for this, just a container you can put in the freezer. Not the healthiest of recipes and apologies to those who can't eat partlh cooked egg.

In a medium sized bowl whisk together three egg yolks.

In a saucepan bring a pint of double cream to the boil and then add 3 oz of sugar and stir until dissolved.

Gradually add the hot cream and sugar mix to the egg yolks whisking as you go.
    Add vanilla essence if wished.
    Strain mix into another bowl to remove any lumps and give a final whisk.

Pour into freezerproof lidded container and freeze until set.

Allow to soften slightly at room temperature before serving and return to freezer...repeat until all eaten
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh Slosh, what have you done to me? :wink: Bye-bye waistline, it was nice knowing you! :) DD