Weather forecasting

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 6. Jul 2015, 16:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
As most of us know our arthur generally plays up as the weather is about to turn bad ... however, living in this modern era it's sometimes hard to prove for certain.

A few weeks ago, I was on holidays with my significant other in the Outer Hebrides where wifi and telephone signals are almost non-existent and, as usual, when I'm on holidays away I didn't see much TV, hence forward knowledge of the predicted weather was limited ... anyway, getting to gist of my story, one day I woke up sorer than the previous few days, sore in a way reminiscent of previous patches of bad weather, and I said to my OH that I felt a cold change was coming, and lo and behold the following day we awoke to rain and wind. That was the first time I'd used my OA to predict the weather without technology to pre-empt me.

I assume others have done this before me, so it's no real feat, but I thought I'd share it with you all.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done, scozzie! We'll have to hang you outside the door and check you daily :lol:

I think there has actually been some research on weather, or at least barometric pressure, and arthritis but nothing conclusive.

I think many people with OA find that cold and damp affects them. My RA can't stand heat or, at least, humidity.

I hope the holiday was good, nevertheless.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sometimes we don't need technology, yes? I too know when low pressure weather is coming, my lungs react and now the joints too. Like Sticky my auto-immune doesn't like the heat so I am not looking forward to this week but at least the OA will leave me alone because it does. Can't flaming win. :lol:

That's a lovely part of the world, isn't it? I hope you had a lovely time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • judyw5
    judyw5 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    A while ago I came across an Android app which purported to predict the weather for arthritis sufferers - a bit like the pollen count for hayfever. I am sure it didn't allow for different sorts of arthritis, so rather a blunt instrument. Haven't been able to track it down recently. If I find it I'll let you know .... Then we won't have to hang scozzie out of the door as a weather predictor! :)

Judy
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I've learned, over the years, never to trust any treatment, article, book, app etc that purports to be about, or for, 'arthritis'. If they don't even know there is more than one kind (let alone hundreds, how can they say anything of value?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    My husband calls me a human barometer! lol

On Saturnday it was damp and raining very heavily in Edinburgh.
    I woke up and could hardly walk or move all day.

However yesterday and today I was much better and I not too bad.

I always know when the weather is going to change. My knee tell's me first! lol
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    No need for seaweed in my house as I, too, can forecast the weather. :lol:

My colleagues at work now know to listen if I sit at my desk and say "there's rain on the way". They only make the mistake of mis-believing me the once; after that they believe me.

I was told it's due to the changes in barometric pressures affecting osteo arthritis.

All I do know for certain, is that at this moment in time, here in Kent, there's rain on the way!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!