In an awful situ!

CallyDG
CallyDG Member Posts: 4
edited 13. Jul 2015, 06:10 in Say Hello Archive
I've been in a massive amount of pain since Jan 1981, 24/7 from a neck accident, which affected my lumbar region and collapsed L2/L3. Last December, my surgeon operated on my lower back L1 to L5 for 8 hrs. Now I am in less pain due to the op, but now it's really bad due to R.A. (I think).
waiting for blood test results now.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums CallyDG from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator JK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello CallyDG and welcome from me, too :)

You must have had a tough time of things. I can't really comment on backs as mine's pretty good. I have RA and OA in most other joints though.

Did you mean RA when you said you thought you had it in your back? I'd have thought OA or AS were more likely. None are good though :roll:

You'll get more replies if you copy your thread to the Living With Arthritis forum. We have several 'back people' on here but not many look in on the 'Say Hello' forum so please join us elsewhere :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • CallyDG
    I've been in a massive amount of pain since Jan 1981, 24/7 from a neck accident, which also affected my lumbar region. I am now 56 yrs of age. I used to be so fit, 100 press ups and 100 sit-ups a night. I'm a brown belt at judo and a 4th Dan black belt in Shotokan karate. I have taught karate for 18 years and still do, but I'm struggling now to keep going, emotionally and physically.
    After 35 years my lumbar region collapsed … L2/L3. Last December, my surgeon operated on my lower back L1 to L5 (triple fusion and full stabilisation) for 8 hrs. I am in less pain due to the op, but still waiting for help with my neck. I have a cervicogenic headache, whatever I feel in my neck, I feel in my head, so when my neck aches, throbs, pains, etc, so does my head. I know I've had osteoarthritis for many years in various joints, which has given me painful swellings on my fingers, toes, elbows, knees, wrists.
    but now it's really bad due to R.A. (I think). I'm waiting for blood test results now.
    Many years ago, I was told that I would end up in a wheelchair, because of my back. After my op I thought I would be ok, but because of the arthritis, it looks like I will end up there after all.
    For a couple of years my fingers stiffen up in the night, but nothing drastic, then they started to cross over my middle finger. A month ago my hands started aching severely 24/7. They haven't stopped and my neck, wrists, knees also ache.
    The thing that is getting me down is I've been in pain for 35 years and I finally get some relief from my op, then I start with this 'new' pain in my joints. This is lifelong; I'm never going to be pain free … ever, despite being desperate for my operations and finally getting one of them to relieve some pain. I just don't feel like carrying on. I'm struggling so much emotionally and physically.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello CallyDG
    and welcome to the forum, I am waiting to have an op on l2/l3..so glad to see it left you inless pain, but sorry you sre still struggling..I do hope the blood test come back clear for you, but there is obviously somthing going on,I do wish you well and hope you find the forum very useful, has I have
    Love
    Barbara
  • CallyDG
    Hi Barbara
    Thanks for replying and for your good wishes. Just to let you know that my spine surgery was a success. I have a 12-18 month recovery time as it was a massive operation. I'm 6 months down the line, waiting for my 'cut' back muscles to heal. The pain that I had for 25 years+ has gone now, it's just the recovery. I get 'nerve pain' down my legs now and again but its not too bad.
    I hope your surgery goes well.

CallyDG
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    No wonder you're feeling so down. Sometimes it does feel as though the minute we clamber back up we get slapped back down again.

Let's take this one step at a time. There is certainly no such thing as 'pain free ever after' with any kind of arthritis except for a very few lucky people who get OA in one joint, have an op and are sorted. It does happen but, for the vast majority of us, that is not an option. We have to learn the good bits of where we are. And there are many. They are just not, necessarily, the good bits of our previous lives.

If you do have RA, or some other auto-immune form of arthritis, (They are many and varied) you will be given some Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs. These slow down the process of the disease and can help a lot. (Do any family members have auto-immune diseases?)

The thing is to try not to get ahead ourselves. Fear of the future is often worse than the future itself. One step at a time is an old but tried and tested adage. I've had RA for over 50 years. Yes, there's been a lot of pain but an awful lot of good things too.

Why not give our Helpline people a ring? You could talk things over with someone who really understands and will give you all the time you need.

Please let us know how the blood tests go.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright