new to this

Options
snowdales
snowdales Member Posts: 3
edited 12. Jul 2015, 14:36 in Say Hello Archive
hi, Im 43 and was diagnosed moderate OA last year. Ive had keyhole surgery on both knees in the last 12 months. My doctor says I've had it many years. I can't accept this as I was ok 18 months ago. I work as a postman and love my job. Don't know how long I'll be able to it for. Has anyone else had symptoms that came on quickly?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums snowdales from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator JK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello snowdales and welcome from me too :)

My OA came about as a result of many years of RA so I'm not quite in the same situation as you but I know, from reading these forums, that some people do seem to find, when they see a doc and have an x-ray, that they've had OA for longer than they think or that it's worse than they realised. I can't recall everyone but my impression is that the more active people are the more likely it is this will happen to them.

It makes sense. Keeping active keeps the muscles strong...the muscles support the joints....strong muscles will support a deteriorating joint much better than weak ones so the pain is less. In fact docs are now likely to tell patients with knee OA to 'get on their bikes'.

I hope you can continue to do the job you love. Many, many, many years ago I was a 'student Christmas post woman' and I loved it.

Please join in on the other forums and threads. We're a friendly bunch and don't bite :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello snowdales..sorry im late seeing this, but welcome to the forum
    my OA came on rapid..or so it seems ..I was going to the gym, but if I missed a few days I would really stiffen up..then I had a pain inmy knee, and after xrays it was found the pain was refered from my hips..and it was in my spine.I am 65 , so I do feel for you being so young...hopefully you will find it helpful to talk about it..and like SW says you must keep active so the joints don't fuse..they do say find an happy medium, but suppose has a postman you get plenty of exercise..hope to see your name around the forum
    Love
    Barbara