Hi, just joined!!

spidey23972
spidey23972 Member Posts: 21
edited 15. Jul 2015, 08:39 in Say Hello Archive
Good evening everyone, and thank you mods for taking the time and effort to set up a forum like this, so people like myself can get reassurance, advice and more importantly being able to get our frustrations and anger of our chests!!
I am a 42yr old male, living in Lincolnshire. I have just recently been diagnosed with RA, after many months of pain in my knees. I don't think it has hit me properly yet, the diagnosis, as I am not feeling as angry as I think I should be. I don't think it has hit me properly yet, as I am just carrying on as if this isn't life changing. Perhaps I'm in denial of what's ahead of me, regarding tests and medication, and also what the results from my numerous X-rays and blood tests will be, in a few weeks time.
I will post soon, regarding what I have been doing these last few weeks since the diagnosis.
Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums spidey23972 from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator JK
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I'm sorry you have had to find us (none of us want to be here, believe you me) but you will be talking to the initiated who can understand the anger, denial, frustrations and idiocies of these conditions. I'm in my nineteenth year of this malarkey, I was eventually diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and that in turn has led to osteo; I began the meds far too little and far too late. I have seen for myself the better outcomes that result from a quicker diagnosis (and starting the meds) and I hope you will be one of that gang rather than joining mine. :wink: I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello spidey and welcome from me too. I've had RA for over 50 years. It's no picnic and is, indeed, life changing to a greater or lesser extent depending on how well the meds work but that life can still be good.

I never felt angry about my diagnosis. I felt sad sometimes when I was younger, to be missing out on stuff my friends were doing but who can one feel angry towards? It's no-one's fault, just the luck of the draw. And, as stress makes arthritis worse, anger's probably best avoided as far as possible :wink:

When do you see your rheumatologist again and what medication are you on?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Brutha
    Brutha Member Posts: 51
    Hello,

I am in a similar situation to you, albeit a few months on. When I found out i was actually relieved. Now I had a reason for being tired and sore, it wasn't just in my head. It does take a while to get used to. I hope you avoid the anger part altogether.

Mark
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello Spidey and welcome - though sorry about your diagnosis. When I was diagnosed I think I spent the first few months alternating between feelings of denial, anger and anxiety. My very good GP kept me sane during those months.

Life certainly does change, but it is still what you make of it. There are ways to adapt, changes you can make, and some very good drugs out there now to help keep things in check.

Do keep posting to tell us how you are doing.