Arthritic hip and associated pain

Brightsue
Brightsue Member Posts: 2
edited 23. Jul 2015, 06:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
hello all, have just joined this group, and this is my first posting.
I am a 65 yr old woman, semi retired, have arthritis in my right hip, diagnosed last year, but very slow development. MRI in March, after which I saw consultant, and the outcome is that I am waiting for a date for a hip replacement op ( maybe not too much longer now - have been told to expect august date).
I take Naproxen daily, which has never seemd to help much, and Co-dydramol at night to help me sleep.
But here's my question - and would appreciate any advice ! - I have generally been managing fine, but in the last month, things have deteriorated badly. When I get out of bed or get up from sitting down, it takes me ages to get moving. Even standing up is painful. I've just bought a walking stick, but feel nervous about even a short walk to the shops.
This all seems to have accelerated so fast.
I realise there is no 'normal' with OA, but is this to be expected, and does anyone have ideas to help relieve the pain and stiffness? I try cold gel packs, cold sprays, heat packs, you name it ! But not much relief. Have been to physios and osteos, had just about every treatment, do exercises, but little helps.
Thanks for reading,
Sue

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes

Mod A
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Sue and welcome from me too. I have OA as a result of many years of RA and I have two hip replacements. They don't hand them out to all and sundry so, if you've been told you need one, you certainly do. It seems you've managed well up to now but things don't always deteriorate at an even pace. Sometimes we get periods where much remains the same for a while then, suddenly, wham – it's all change again.

Do you know how to use a stick? If it's to help it's important to get it right. Hold it in the opposite hand to the affected leg and bring it forward with the bad leg. It should help to make you feel more stable.

It sounds to me as if you're doing all the right things. By the time a hip needs replacing nothing is going to hold back the pain for long. Keep up with the exercises as they'll not only help now but will also ensure you're in better shape post-op. I guess you could, with the GP's approval, up the meds but that's about it. I find, when things are really tough, distraction works as well as anything.

I hope you get your op date soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello and welcome to the grim reality of living with arthritis. Any measures we take to alleviate pain and stiffness are only temporary in effect; the surgery, however, may make a huge difference to the quality of your life and I hope it does. I have OA as result of my other arthritis and it affects both ankles, both knees and both hips.

As Sticky said they don't hand these things out to all-comers so yours must be in the right state of decay now, which means a very uncomfortable time ahead. The surgery won't be an immediate fix, the healing takes a great deal of time, especially at the deeper levels, and it will be very important to do the exercises as you are told to do them, but the light is there at the end of the tunnel - and in your case it's very unlikely to be that of an oncoming train. :wink: August is not that far away and is a pretty good time to have an operation, I have always found my summer ops easier with the recuperation and recovery aspect thanks to the brighter and longer days. Good luck, keep in touch and let us know how you get on. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi Sue, and welcome.

I can`t really help with hip replacements, but just wanted to say hello. I have RA with a bit of OA thrown in for good measure.
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Hi Sue,

I had a THR in my forties as I had a congenitally 'funny' hip coupled with an inflammatory issue around it. I started with a stick but ended up having to use one crutch and then two. I found the crutches gave me much more confidence than the stick. When using the stick I would sometimes get stuck as the pain was so intense so stopped going out walking - the crutches gave me some independence again as you can put all your weight through them if the pain is intense. If the pain is less intense you can use them purely as supports and put more weight through your leg.

I know we are all different as my situation was a bit unusual and this may not suit you but thought I would chip in!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Sue and a warm welcome form me..
    I have had one THR 2 years ago, when I was 63, my other one needs doing and like you I was managing, but in the last months things have changed rapidly. ..even standing up is painful never mind moving, I do use either one crutch or two depending on how I feel, I need an op on my back so was delaying to have that first...hope you get the appointment soon, then you can at least get rid of the hip pain..
    Love
    Barbara
  • alumina
    alumina Member Posts: 40
    Hello and welcome.

I had a left hip replacement ten years ago following a spontaneous fracture due to OA. The operation was fine although obviously involved some pain. When I first got out of bed I asked the physiotherapist whether it would be painful when I first rested my weight on it and he said no - and he was right. The replacement hip has always had a small amount of pain with it but it is very little and nothing like the pain I had previously.

Funnily enough, I had an X-ray of the hip about a month ago and after ten years, there is no movement in the joint (which is very good!). The movement in that hip has never been as good as my "own" hip but then I have fairly agile joints. When I was a child, I could rest the souls of my feet on the top of my head! Can't do that now!

Hope all goes well for you and that you get an appointment for the operation very soon.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead