stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 28. Jul 2015, 05:34 in Community Chit-chat archive
The toy, not the ones you eat.

Yes, for me.

No, I couldn't.

Easy peasy aged 9: rubbish aged 69.

What went wrong?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    SW I remember these the first time around, think I was around 10, and loved it...now I did have a go a few years ago...and did my back in.. :shock:never mind there has to be somthing we are good at.. :? :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I remember these too, from when I were but a lass!! I doubt if I could do it now either - age/weight/RA May be the reasons.

Can you remember playing with a top & whip?
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Oh I remember the frustration! Being of the straight up and down body shape - no waist and narrow hips - it was a real challenge to keep it going. Once scoliosis added tip tilted hips there was no hope! Fast forward four decades and a hoop cut in half with a bamboo stuck in each end proved useful for crop protection in the garden holding up fleece or netting...
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I bought one a few years ago but never been able to do it.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    theresak wrote:
    Can you remember playing with a top & whip?

Whip and top? I played for hours on the flags outside our house seeing how far down the street I could get.

Part of the fun was chalking up the top to see what patterns emerged once it was in action :D
    Steven Wright
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Used to love my hula hoop as a kid but well now don't think back would allow. :D
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Not much money to go round me and my two sisters had to share a hula hoop a scooter but we had a whip and top each,who remembers the big whopper painting book we used to have a new one each at xmas and a tin of paints.Mig
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hop scotch for me and two ball (the game where you systematically threw tennis balls against a wall chanting a rhyme with actions such as over-arm, stood one one leg, turning round on the spot between throws and catching the ball). If you were really clever with this, you got to using three balls ... I have to blow my own trumpet and say - I did three balls! Yay. :lol:

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Loved mine, it's all in the hips. Wouldn't be able to do it now. Can't even do the twist. Two ball was my favourite game. Opposite us was a big house with a blank wall stretching a good way along the street. There would be 4 or 5 of us all playing 2 ball up at it. :bouncing-ball:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    You should have gone for the crisps. They now sell giant hula hoops, (the crisps) which enables me to indulge my inner child and put one on each finger. :D

The toy has actually come back into fashion as, apparently, it is very good for your core strength. I think you must need very flexible hips too.

I am in awe of your attempts though, you are my hero. <bows>
  • stickywicket
    kathleenT wrote:
    Opposite us was a big house with a blank wall stretching a good way along the street. There would be 4 or 5 of us all playing 2 ball up at it.

I bet the inhabitants loved you :lol:

Starburst - Maybe it's a 'real hips only' toy :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Elgnay
    Elgnay Member Posts: 5
    So I used to be a hula performer...

My tips - don't use kids ones. Way too light which makes it much harder to use. Use adult ones, general rules are when standing it next to you it should reach your hips.
    Oddballs is a good shop for hula hoops.
  • stickywicket
    I'll tie some weights to it :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the info. Whether or not I can make good use of it is another matter :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Aha, that's why I can't hula. I've got the wrong sort of hoop. Nothing to do with just not doing it right. :lol:
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    I suspect the wrong sort of bodies comes into it too :lol:
    Steven Wright