A small thing but a big difference

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 22. Jul 2015, 06:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
As some of you will know over the last couple of months I have been suffering from increased pain in my right arm (not Arthritis but neuropathic pain from my neck) and hand which as I'm right handed has been a real nuisance and a pain in more than one sense of the word! I was using a wrap round wrist support as suggested by a GP but while it helped to some extent with my wrist didn't help with my hand pain.

I saw my physio yesterday, she was not impressed with it, and gave me a "proper" support, the kind that goes around the palm of the hand and has a metal strip in.

The difference it has made is amazing! No more pain or discomfort in my hand. Not the most attractive of accessories but I don't care. Mind you I should end up wit an interesting tan pattern on my arm!
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I`m glad you`re finding the splint beneficial, Slosh. Mine have the metal strip in too, and are a very fetching shade of hospital beige.

You`ll have to jazz it up with some glitter if yours is the same!!

I do have some rather nice powder blue ones, which I keep `for best.`
  • Slosh
    Mine is that rather fetching shade of NHS beige. Do you think anyone does have skin that matches?

Out of interest where did you get your blue ones from?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Glad they help Slosh....I too have NHS beige ones which match nothing at all and certainly not my freckly arms!!!!! Wouldn't it be nice to have different coloured ones to match outfits :lol: . I wonder whether you see an OT? My rheumy OT has given me splints in many sizes for pain in various parts of the hand/wrist/thumb.....most in black neoprene which is softer and more comfortable than the metal plate ones.

Since developing RA I've discovered more splints/joint wraps/supports than I ever dreamt existed, and yet none of them ever seem to quite hit the spot, they help-sort of !

Hope you have a good summer break, I'm guessing that the end of term has come as a relief.

Deb x
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I got the blue ones when I changed hospitals.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Slosh I am pleased, like they say little things can make such a diffrence.. I hope things inprove pain wise very soon...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah yes, the beige beauties! I too have a pair and they can be useful from time to time. I have looked on the net and you can buy all sorts but mostly beige, black, grey or white. I don't understand why functional has to be bland. I'm glad it's helping, Slosh, long may that last. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You're so right about small things making big differences and I'm very pleased that something – small or large – has made a difference for you.

I remember wrist splints that were made in the plaster room and held on with crepe bandages. I regularly clouted MR SW when I turned over in bed :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Thank you all
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    If we ever have an AC forum meet up, we should definitely wear our gorgeous beige wrist splints. They are the height of coolness. 8)

I'm pleased to hear that they're making a difference to you, Slosh. I wear mine every night and they make the carpal tunnel night-time symptoms so much better. The fact that the velcro gets stuck to my PJs is just a bonus to their attractiveness really! :lol: