My new debit card.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 28. Jul 2015, 16:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
I received it last week and it's emblazoned with, to me, the new symbol meaning it's a contactless card. This means I could wave it (or my purse holding it) over the payment terminal (once the right payment selection was chosen) and the transaction would happen without my entering the PIN. The current shop limit is £20 but this will be raised to £30 in September. OK, so far, so good if that suits but . . . . .

Apparently these new cards come with little antennae which enable this kind of transaction but it also makes them vulnerable to those who don't play by the rules, they wander round supermarkets etc. with the necessary electronic readers to detect the necessary details (from within purses, bags and wallets) enabling them to go on an internet spree.

They do and they have. Scary, no?

It was in the news today after a Which? report and, apparently, one way to defeat the rogues is to wrap one's card (or cards) in tin foil. I have lined my purse pocket with said foil (I only have a debit card). What's mine is mine and I do not want to share it with anyone else (including 'im indoors :wink: ).

Be wary, my lovelies, and invest in foil. My purse is lined and I hope I've avoided the risk. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I received mine in the post this morning. Not entirely happy about it as I have heard the same stories. Didn't know about using the foil. Thanks for letting us know. I'll line the pocket in my bag I keep it in.
    Christine
  • Sarahd1609
    Sarahd1609 Member Posts: 64
    I work in a bank my lovelies so I can put your mind at rest. The foil Idea works, but you can buy special wallets. If you are really unhappy about having a contactless card contact your bank. They have a system in place where you can decline the contactless feature( well I know Barclays do anyway) and if they refuse log a complaint as it is only the case of filling in paperwork to remove the feature on a new card. They only allow transactions of up to £20 and after 3 times you have to use your pin or it doesn't work. If anything should happen you log a fraud claim with the bank and you will get your money back. If you need any further help don't be afraid to PM me xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thank you DD and Sarah. I hadn't realised all my cards are like this and so are Mr SW's. Mine are now wrapped in foil and he has a foil-lined wallet.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I watched a program a couple of weeks ago about these..and they advised the lined wallets you can buy..but i think this is a good idea DD..saying that I don't see why they should send these to us without making sure we want one :roll: ..so when mine comes it will be going back...I cant see me using the contactless..A well know coffee shop uses them, and you see people just plonking there card on a machine for a coffee...without a thought to it.
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I had never heard of this till I read your post DD and at first I thought you were making a joke then I read the rest of the posts and got a bit concerned so I googled it ,needless to say my bag pocket is lined in foil ,I only have one of these contactless card and I shall be visiting my bank to get this sorted.Thanks for the heads up DD .Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I won't be using contactless, in fact I suspect that cash will become my preferred payment method. If it's in my purse I can use it, if not I can't. Mind you, transferring cash to my current account and removing it to my purse involves card use somewhere - oh heck! I change my on-line bank password weekly, I may change that to every two days. There again there's my mattress . . . . :wink:

I do not use high street ATMs, I prefer those within a bank or shop, my thinking being that the terminals are, hopefully, less likely to be compromised.

The rain here is cascading, it's dark and dingy. Yup, it's summer.

:cheers:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sarahd1609
    Be careful at supermarket ATMs as these are where a higher proportion of fraud occurs. I'm a suspicious person, it is part of my job after all. Also if you do shop on line, a credit card is best if possible, as should the worst happen and you fall victim of a fraud, it is the credit card company money and not your mortgage money etc at risk xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thanks for that, Sarah. Very useful to know.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sarahd1609
    I've just been to M&S ( other chains widely available ) lol and they sell alleys for £9.50 that have card safe linings in them. If you dont want the hassle of going to the bank or lining your wallets with foil then this may help xxx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Thank you for the information Sarah. Very helpful. :sunny:
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I have been using mine for about a year now and love it! Ideal for a quick C*sta on the way into the hospital :)

Much quicker ;)

Very interesting thread thanks everyone

Love

Toni xxx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Thanks for the thread. I'll be wrapping my card in foil.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!