A good day out.

Options
theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 24. Jul 2015, 10:19 in Community Chit-chat archive
We spent today in Pickering, watching an U11 cricket tournament, in which our grandsons were playing. Without exception, all teams were beautifully turned-out, and played each match in a wonderful spirit. Cries of "well played" were heard from all areas of the ground, and end of match handshakes were vigorously exchanged.

The volunteers, coaches and umpires who give up their time for events such as these all deserve a medal. Without them these things wouldn't take place - I salute them all.

Special mention must go to the lovely lady who spent the day providing cups of tea and coffee to all the spectators who were sat in a stiff breeze trying desperately to keep warm.

Sportsmanship is still alive and well at this level!!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Now that's my sort of day out.

A friend of ours lived in Pickering for some years and still loves it so much he manages to go through it whenever possible.

Of course there was a stiff breeze. Isn't it compulsory at cricket :lol:

It is good to see children being taught true sportsmanship. I was surprised and delighted at my grandson's baseball matches to see the teams all solemnly line up to shake hands afterwards and then turn to applaud their spectators. They were all 5 and 6 yr olds.

As for the coaches, umpires and tea ladies - when David Cameron first announced his 'big society' idea of people volunteering in the community I did wonder where he'd been all my life. Cricket, football, rugby, RDA - most things that are worthwhile are run on the back of a handful of dedicated volunteers.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    How lovely, sometimes these volunteers do go unnoticed..must say I would have been on the railway waiting for the steam train to come in...glad you enjoyed your day...
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    It was quite funny, as our grandsons' team lost their first two matches, albeit unlucky in the first one, and the older grandson (team captain) was getting a bit disheartened. We all kept saying to just keep on trying, as there were a lot of teams with some very big 11year-olds. Ourselves & the coaches kept saying how the experience would help. After winning their third match, Jacob said 'Yes! Finally! A winning experience is so much better!"

To our amusement, each pair of batsmen met in the middle after each bowl, touched gloves & exchanged words. I asked J what he'd said to his younger brother, 8 year-old & pint-sized in the middle. Answer, " Just welly the ball whenever you can and run fast."
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Excellent advice from the captain. :lol:

When our elder lad was playing junior footie at Under 15's level, one team of giants used to always win the league. When we played them we noticed two of their 'Under 15s' had driven themselves there :shock:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright