About 40 minutes

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 24. Jul 2015, 10:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
That's how long it took me to get dressed this morning. No unusually difficult bits of clothing. No make up. Just knickers, trousers, socks, shoes and blouse.

Nothing is particularly bad. It's just that all the usual difficult bits were even more so for no good reason. The socks alone took 20 mins, much pulling, tugging and swearing and, by the time I'd finished fighting them, I'd no energy left for the poppers on my blouse so, after a short struggle, I conceded defeat and enlisted the help of Mr SW for them and the shoe straps.

Looking on the bright side, I've already had a fair bit of exercise before breakfast :lol:

But :mrgreen:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hope the day improves....sounds like time for a cuppa and a sit down to recover your energy stores.

Deb xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    It's the gym work out getting dressed! It takes me a while, not as long as you sticky! But by the time I'm dressed I need a few minutes to catch my breath.
    Funnily enough I just had to assist a huge bee out my conservatory with the help of a cushion! And that took all of 5mins and now I'm totally knackered!! Arthritis the gift that keeps on giving!!!
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hope you've been able to have a rest, Sticky, after the trials and tribulations of getting dressed. I'm currently 'sockless,' and hope to be until the winter. I can't wear a shoe at present, due to toe trouble.

Life is such fun isn't it?
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Who needs to spend money on a gym membership when you can help an arthritic get dressed?! Value for money, eh? Not for us though. You have more than earned a nice sit down and a cuppa. When they tell newly diagnosed people how important it is to keep active, I'm sure they have visions of being expected to run 5k on the treadmill. Little do they know that putting on a pair of tights (rare, I admit) is a great form of exercise.

Take it easy, Stickster.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Have you ever considered naturism?

It does sound as though that was your workout for the day...hope getting undressed this evening is easier.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    thank you Sticky for making me smile. As you know I'm new to this and finding out that there are other people who know just how long it takes them to get dressed, is really rather comforting. -I am not alone! nor am I the only one who finds that the foot I could reach quite easily is now inexplicably further away. I recall a few months ago, when I was still certain that my problems were due to having pulled a thigh muscle (which I truly had done), waving a sock at my foot while being determined that I was not going to rouse my OH from his last few minutes of sleep before his alarm clock went off, and that somehow I would do it myself. I did but my shoulders were aching afterwards.
    One of my sticking points re dressing/undressing is getting my trouser leg over my heel when undressing. Once its over my heel everything is easier but sometimes even sitting down, its difficult to guide it over. In a moment of desperation last week I lifted my long handled shoe-horn and was amazed how good a job it did. Just let the undone trousers drop as far down the leg as they will, then sit down and slide the shoe-horn inside the trouser leg and over your heel. Works a treat.
    hope you've recovered from your ordeal.

slomo
  • stickywicket
    Thank you all for your understanding and offers of cuppas. (That was my first thought too :D .)

Slosh – naturism? Hm. I think I might need to go and live with my son in California for that. Besides, Mr SW deserves better :lol:

Slomo – buy a sock putter onner. They save lots of time and energy. Well, they used to :roll: That was with the sock putter onner :oops:
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I sympathise. Some days I'm "quicker" than others but slow is my normal speed and I have to sit down to get dressed. It's so frustrating but it's a challenge we all overcome first thing in the morning.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah. Hmmmm. Oh.

Sometimes I think I am far too willing to live in my nightie :oops: but that's usually thanks to this.

:too-hot:

I hope you can disrobe this evening in at least half that time. Good luck old girl! ( As we say in this household.) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Thank you one and all. I am pleased to report it was, indeed, just a blip and I am now back to a speedy 15-20 minutes. Seated, of course :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Congratulations. You say "seated of course" ....is there any other way?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Mr SW used to think so until he tried after one exceptionally good New Year's Eve party. I shall pass swiftly over what happened next :lol:
    Steven Wright