Is it wrong of me to have enjoy my sick leave so much?!

slomo
slomo Member Posts: 180
edited 26. Jul 2015, 06:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
I've been signed off work for 2weeks and confess that I'm quite sad that its my last day now and I will be back at my desk on Monday. I have RA and vasculitis, just got the diagnosis 2 weeks ago. I only work 3 days a week but I'd just had 2 quite heavy work weeks and was already very weary. My 2 non working days plus the weekends weren't really enough to recharge the batteries fully. Even my OH had remarked on the Wed after work that he thought I'd gone as long as I could without time off.

I'd pretty much decided that I'd self certify for a week and then on the Friday evening the GP phoned with the results of my blood tests, chest xray and ct-pet scan. I told him how tired I was feeling and how all my joints felt like they'd been rattled together and the nice man signed me off for 2 weeks.
I feel a bit guilty saying that I've really enjoyed it. It's been a bit like a stay at home holiday. I've relaxed and wandered about as and when I've felt like it. Still done some basic house things as well - washing ironing cooking shopping but no big cleaning jobs. OH says I look so much more relaxed and seem to be moving about easier. Don't think I can give the credit to the mtx as I only started it the Monday after the GP called me so I think it is just that I'm better rested physically and mentally now.

How will I get on at work I wonder. My job is almost entirely customer facing and we're 1st point of contact for visitors to the office. The bulk of customer queries we resolve there and then and the remainder we pass to relevant dept/people It all means that we're (there are only 2 of us) at the desk the whole time, only moving to eg take customers to meeting rooms or copy documents or such like. When I return from any holiday I've always been very aware how restricted I am re moving about and that was before I had any medical issues. Not sure how things will go. I've been told by my managers (when all this started) just to keep moving and to rest when I needed to, but in practice it's not that easy. Can't really say to a queue of customers that I'm away for a nice wee rest for 5 minutes.
However, I must think positively about it - maybe the rest is just what I needed and I'll not feel just as tired as I was before. AND I've still got the weekend to enjoy so I'll not worry about Monday yet!

slomo

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I wish I was able to enjoy sick leave. I always refuse when my GP suggests it so was quite shocked when recently he just told me he was going to sign me off for 4 weeks as I needed to rest. I always feel guilty about all the work I am leaving for other people.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Of course it's not wrong. It's very understandable. You are battling on two health fronts both of which will sap your strength and make working life so much harder.By being signed off for two weeks you have been able to live life at a pace more suited to your needs.

Hopefully, once the meds kick in you will feel more able to get on with your working life but certainly don't feel guilty for enjoying the vital health break.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That sounds an entirely normal response to me. You are away from the pressures of work (which is always a good thing) and able to potter as and when you wish instead of being 'forced' to be busy. Working is always a challenge to those of us with on-going health issues, I flogged on for seventeen years or so then decided enough was enough. I was, however, very lucky to be self-employed so could tailor things accordingly.

I hope that you re-charged batteries will help you through the first few hours on Monday - pace yourself as best you can. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    No, not wrong - your body is appreciating the rest, and mentally you feel better without the pressure of work.

Hope you can ease yourself in once you start work again.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hi slomo,

No, of course, it's not wrong. I don't think your feelings can ever be wrong. You've obviously not been physically well and your brain needs to rest too. Taking care of your emotional wellbeing is as important and it sounds like you've been able to do this.

Take it easy upon your return.
  • Brutha
    Brutha Member Posts: 51
    No it's definetly not wrong! Personally, I think that part of my remuneration package is the sick pay and the pension. If those factors weren't offered by my employer I wouldn't work for them, I would just go self employed and possibly double my wages (provided I could get to work every day!) I have just had a week off work as I had a flare that meant I couldn't put weight on my left foot, couldn't walk, couldn't drive, and I felt absolutely no guilt while sitting at home. I am sure my bosses feel absolutely no guilt when I struggle through the bad days and dont go home, when I probably should.
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
    I do feel sorry for my colleague who has been left to deal with things on her own but its swings and roundabouts really- when she was I'll a few years ago it was me who was having to deal with things on my own. None of us wants to be ill and to have to be off sick but I think really that my lack of feeling guilty about it is a measure of just how much I've needed the break
    I think it likely that there will now be a short break (prob about 3days ) in me posting anything as I'm assuming I'll be pretty tired after work! Time will tell.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    We'll still be here, slomo :D Hope it goes better than feared.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright