Weekend Woes

eminel
eminel Member Posts: 23
edited 31. Jul 2015, 08:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Guys. How have you all been?
I've had a terrible weekend pain wise and today I've woke and just cried most the morning. The weather is **** and I feel like I have a touch of depression back with the combination of lack of sleep and pain. I don't know how to console myself to the fact that I can't do what I used to and I could probably cope easier if it wasn't for the headaches it causes. I feel too young to be debilitated like this. I've called into work and managed to get the next two days off. I'm due to go to Oxford in two weeks to see my sister and I'm dreading the journey down there from Edinburgh, what if I get a headache there. I can't very well go and take to my bed till it passes.

I hope you guys have had a better weekend and managed to do some fun stuff :)

Michele xxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I empathise, things often come home to roost over the weekends when we begin to slow the pace of the working week. It is very easy to drive ourselves too hard and then payback rocks up to punish us for doing the things we have to do. Living with constant pain and effort is not only physically debilitating, it affects our emotions too. Like many on here I take a daily low dose of an anti-depressant, this helps to keep me mentally stronger and thus more able to deal with the usual vicissitudes of arthritic life. Have you discussed this option with your GP?

I cannot help about the Oxford trip, sometimes we fret about things and all goes well, other times we are ready, willing and able and it all blows up in our face. The unpredictability of our varying conditions is also emotionally demanding. Make the most of your time off, rest as much as possible and most of all be kind to yourself. I hope things improve soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I, too, empathise. I used to regularly wake up with migraine-type headaches due to OA in my neck. They stopped when I bought a shaped memory foam pillow but re-started a couple of weeks ago. I was unsure whether it was a bug (visitors had had one) my new BP meds or possibly the aged pillow but I changed the pillow and all is now well again. Sometimes the simple measures work.

In the bad old days I had to wear a surgical collar for an hour or two before it would all subside and my recent week of relentless headache reminded me of how debilitating and overwhelming it is.

I know you said in an early post that you'd had RA for years but never took any medication for it. Maybe now is the time to start. If we eliminate what we can of the bad stuff the rest is easier to put up with.

As for Oxford - you might be pleasantly surprised. Often our worst fears fail to materialise. Let your sister know things aren't brilliant but that you're hoping it won't interfere with the trip. That way she is prepared. If you're bad when there it will be a shame but not the end of the world. You will be somewhere comfortable and cared for and there will be other trips.

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head when you write " I don't know how to console myself to the fact that I can't do what I used to" We each have to forge our own paths with that one but I do try to start a new interest every time I lose one. Don't look back. Look forwards. It can be good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Michele
    Headaches cause by arthritis in the neck are horrible..I feel for you..try and plan this break at your sister the best you can, hopefully she will understand if you have to rest..especially after the journey, if you are not driving get one of the neck cushions that you inflate, but also do some gentle neck exercises..or it will seize up..hope you have a good time..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    By my calculations you'll be going in to work today. How is / was it?
    Steven Wright
  • eminel
    Hiya you lovelies, thank you for your support and thoughtful posts. Work has been a struggle this week as I've covered for people off on their hols. Thankfully I'm done now for the weekend. I've been the drs today Sticky and gave her the lowdown on everytihng, I have new tablets to try and going for blood tests in an hour.xxx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
  • eminel
    Oh meant to say I have an orthopaedic pillow which does help and my hubby also bought me a blow up neck brace. I'm doing all the exercises several times a day to help and I think they do help but just not as much as I would like lol
    I've been looking into maybe doing a fast to reset the white blood cells. It's gotta be worth a shot.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
  • stickywicket
    I hope the new meds help.

What are they testing for?

As for re-setting the WBC - why? Are you getting a lot of infections? If you do have an auto-immune form of arthritis the last thing you need is a more active immune system.
    Steven Wright