Retail Therapy! I need therapy now!!

slomo
slomo Member Posts: 180
edited 3. Aug 2015, 06:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi guys,
I've never been much of a one for retail therapy but I've lost about 3/4 stone since March/April time and discovered that the jeans I only bought in December could, with a deep breathe in or a big stretch, slide down over my tummy. The plan was to buy new jeans and smart trousers for work and some shoes as I think I've lost some weight off my feet too!!. OH had a day off today and at first suggested going to the nearest city - more shops more choice etc, but it's an hours drive each way so we went with my idea of just going to the local town half the distance away and going to the edge of town retail park that I rarely go to. (Usually just go to the town centre) Plenty of shops to try.
Things are never that straightforward though. Firstly I'm only 5ft tall on my tiptoes so short length/petite range required, secondly my RA is in my knees, shoulders and a bit in the back, so pulling trousers on and off is not easy. After about 7 pairs of trousers in 3 shops, I've still not got anything other than exhaustion.
Elgnay - I've never heard of the Spoon Theory before as a measure of energy (I had a look on the link you gave me and I'll certainly have to give more consideration to my starting levels of energy and how much I need to 'spend' on each task), but I think I used a whole canteen of spoons!!

However, I now know that my old favourite 'Bootleg' which used to balance out my boobs waist and legs, now looks like fares on me. 'Skinny' is just like wearing a thick pair of tights but harder to take on and off, and a new one to me, 'Cigarette' made me look like an inverted triangle!
Jeans which shape and control you by holding in your tummy and lifting your bottom have in them, obviously when you think about it, support panels which means you have to pull against that to get the garment on and off. So, no luck there with trousers although I did get quite a nice pair of shoes for work - very slight wedge heel and just one Velcro strap to fasten it. Should be able to get my arm to stretch far enough to be able to fasten it
I think I'll have a bit of a spoon shortage tomorrow so will just near home and take things a bit easier

all the beat
slomo

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I'm a bit like that with retail therapy........cant find what I want and when I do find something I end up having to take it home and bring it back if its not right.
    With crutches and all the aches and pains I find that's easier than trying lots of clothes on
    I've shrunk now LOL so not sure if I would get into petite or not. That's the sort of thing I WOULD need to try on first.
    Oh well.....Tomorrow is another day.....I'll see what happens tomorrow

Love
    hileena
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Retail therapy sometimes turns into Retail nightmares when you can't find what you're looking for. I know the feeling well as I'm pear-shaped. If something fits me on the waist, it doesn't fit me on the hips and vice versa. I take lots of pairs of trousers into the fitting room and it's such a struggle trying them all on, only to find that none of them fit. If I do find a style which fits reasonably well, I buy several pairs in different colours. I've got one pair in four different colours because I was so happy to find them. But now I'm on a diet to lose weight, so they will probably be too big soon. Then I'll have to start the search all over again! :roll:

Joan :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    I empathise with your search, Slomo. I'm 5' too and have always found buying trousers very difficult. I really relate to what you said about the different styles. Bootleg cut used to look all right on me, too! I do find that M&S Short fits me ideally. However, this depends on the style that you want, as not all 'short' trousers in M&S are necessarily the same length!

At least you got your shoes, which sound lovely. I have difficulties there, too, as I take a size 2. But, that's another moan!

Meg
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I hate going shopping and no longer brave the shops. I buy online but finding the right shape and fit is trial and error so even that is a chore. My reasoning is that as I have hardly any nice clothes I no longer go out and I'm saving myself a fortune :)

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even know there was such a thing as 'cigarette' trousers!!!

I have googled them slomo and aren't they just cut-offs by another name?

Seriously I too used to love my bootlegs....surely one day they will come back in.

Elizabeth's theory is a good one send off (only those companies with free returns!) for more than one size of what you fancy. You can try them on at your leisure then.

Love

Toni xx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    frogmorton wrote:

Seriously I too used to love my bootlegs....surely one day they will come back in.

Guess what?... Some of us are still wearing them :!:

But I understand that flares are the height of fashion again with all the top models..... who needs Kate Moss when they've got me :?: :lol:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    All One needs is confidence to carry it off Joan - go you girl!!!! :wink:
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Hi folks, nice to know it's not just me that dislikes clothes shopping. I think cigarette style is a Capri style but full length leg?! They don't suit me anyway. Flares are much too wide for me - I remember nearly falling downstairs over 40 years ago because my flares had wrapped themselves around my ankles, and as for platform shoes! I'm sure some of you must remember them! They were a trip to casualty just waiting to happen. I was never really a girly girl; I liked nice clothes but comfort tended to win over being uncomfortably the height of fashion. It still does, but you've probably guessed that already

All the best
    slomo
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    oops just found out I am behind the times with bootleg jeans.. :shock: :lol: never mind..but like some of the others I do most shopping on line now..not the same but the next best thing..and yes there are a few fee delivery's and returns...good luck and keep up the good work with the weight loss..
    Love
    Barbara