Prescribed 15mg codeine.

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 1. Aug 2015, 15:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've been taking 25mg Nortriptyline at night for a few months now, principally for fibromyalgia, but also for OA and to help with sleep.

While it works pretty well, on the whole, I still have the odd bad night, with pain and insomnia. I mentioned it to the GP this morning and he has prescribed 15mg codeine. I'm to take one tablet if I'm having a bad night. Now I've read the patient leaflet and am wondering whether to take it at all, or whether to just get up at night and read my book or do some colouring!

I'd be interested to hear what others think about codeine.

Meg

Comments

• DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have been on codiene for years, (I have RA) i take one with 2 paracetamol.
    Or i take 2 Co-codamol which is paracetamol and codiene combined.
    I have no problems with side effects.

Personally I wouldn't be without it. But we all react differently.

You might have side effects when you first take them, but as your body get used to them they should stop.

If you start to have side effects I would contact your GP.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    What, in particular, did you dislike about the leaflet, Megrose? All meds have their side-effects and all dullers must be treated with caution but I've never regarded codeine as an exceptionally bad guy :wink: especially taken as your GP has prescribed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    I would say give it a go for one night. If you're lucky it may even help you sleep.

I know when I first took codeine many years ago it would make me very sleepy and did work really good for the pain.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Many people don't react well to codeine and I believe there is a risk of addiction. I am one of the lucky ones who has no trouble with it (I take 30/500 cocodamols) but, if you are really unsure, how about chatting it through with your pharmacist? They are knowledgeable people and easier to see than a GP. How frequent are your occasional bad nights? Is there a pattern to them? They may be more avoidable if you can find a common link which can be addressed thus reducing the need for another medication. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LemonMerigue
    LemonMerigue Member Posts: 62
    What are your reservations about taking it?

I've been taking 2x30mg of Codeine per night since October. With a month off last month. I can honestly say I haven't ever experienced many side affects. When I first started taking it I had a bit of constipation and my mouth was dry. Drinking more fluid helped with both things. I can't say I've ever felt any addiction to them either. I'd say it's harmless. It will dull out any pain you're having and it will help you sleep. Give it a go I say.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I've been taking 2 x 15mg at night....mainly to help with sleep
    At night I also take paracetamol.
    I've never found it to be addictive.....if you are prescribed it for pain and take it like that you will be OK....although it has been said that we are all different

Good Luck

Hileena
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Thank you all for your help. I think I was thrown by the addictive nature of codeine and also that it should only be used for a short time and not long-term. However, from what you've said, perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily, particularly as it works so well for you, Hileena, LemonMeringue, As5567 and DebraKelly. I must be honest that I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to medication and do worry about the side-effects.

There is no particular pattern to the bad nights, DD. It's part of the fibro, I believe, but always leaves me in pain and exhausted the following day. I will follow your suggestion and speak to my pharmacist about it, she's very good and quite used to me querying things!

However, your reassurances have helped me, thank you, and I will definitely give it a go.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Megrose489 wrote:
    I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to medication and do worry about the side-effects.

I don't think that caution over meds, especially pain relief, is being a wuss at all, megrose. I think it's being very wise.

As long as you're only taking it on a 'need to' basis I don't see what can go wrong. You're quite right that it's easy to get addicted to these things which is why I keep leaving out my nightly cocos - and then getting up to take them because I really did need them :lol: I'd rather keep finding it out the hard way than just automatically swallowing them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    You're not a wuss. You are sensible and want to be informed. I am lucky in that I've never had a bad reaction and have taken co-codamol (30mg codeine/500mg paracatemol) for nearly 6 years with few side effects. For me, it allows a decent quality of life.

If you're unsure, ask to speak to a pharmacist. They are the most knowledgeable people about medication, better than the prescribers in many cases.

Best of luck.