Still alive and kicking

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 1. Aug 2015, 11:40 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi everyone,

I've been absent from this forum for such a long time that you have probably forgotten me long ago. But for anyone out there who does remember me, this is to say hello again to let you know that I'm still very much alive and kicking despite some recent health problems.

What was my highlight of last week?- I had to have an injection in my lower back done at the hospital which I was dreading, but then along came the surgeon whom I hadn't met previously. Wow :!: He was Swedish, tall and very handsome with a lovely accent. He was very kind and altogether gorgeous :D What a shame that I had to lie there with a paper cap on my head and wearing paper pants, looking about as unglamorous as possible :roll: At least he took my mind off the injection (won't say where it wandered :shock: ) and I will get to see him again at the follow up appointment. Maybe arthritis does have some small compensations after all :D

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joan,Lovely to hear from you again,your doctor sounds yummy ,we should all have one like that.Hope the injection works for you and we see you on the forum when you can .Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello! It's lovely to see your name on here again, I am pleased that you are still alive but wonder if the kicking is such a good idea. :wink: Mind you, if it results in more visits to the lovely Swede then go for it, girl! I hope the injection does what it is meant to do. Are you still painting? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello again, Joan :D Sorry you needed the jab but I hope it works. As for the surgeon - maybe we could get one of those fancy copiers. It's always less painful if they're easy on the eye. Welcome back.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • joanlawson
    edited 27. Jul 2015, 12:40
    Hello again, Mig, DD and SW,
    Thank you for your kind replies. How lovely to hear from you all again.

Re. the kicking, DD, the surgeon told me that swimming was a good form of exercise for my back condition so I will be doing some gentle kicking in the water n050.gif

Unfortunately, he also told me to lose 3 stone in weight which is not going to be easy as I do enjoy my food. However, I'm determined to try hard. The good news is that the injection seems to be working as I slept quite well last night after months of being kept awake by pain.

I think that my Swedish surgeon should be on loan to anyone with arthritis. Just one look at him would work better than any medicine :D

Yes I am still painting, DD. I absolutely love it and it keeps me sane when I'm in pain. It's interesting how pain levels can decrease when I'm totally absorbed in a painting.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah yes, the weight loss, it's not easy is it? I've been doing it the cheat's way, last week I began a stomach bug and have now lost 7lbs thanks to not eating much and what I did have not hanging around for long. I suppose it's an incentive to make proper efforts and I am moving a little more easily and a little quicker.

Go easy with the swimming, it can be very tempting to overdo things when in there because it feels good! I am pleased that you slept better, that can make a big difference to things. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joanlawson
    The swimming will have to be very gentle because I can only do breast stroke with my head above the water. Apparently this isn't good for back problems, so I will just have to do a very poor version of a back stroke ie. floating about in the water and kicking very gently. My gorgeous surgeon said that I could just walk about in the water if I didn't want to swim as the exercise would be helpful anyway.

I'm going to see someone tomorrow about losing weight. It's a scheme run by my local authority and you have to be referred by your doctor. It lasts 12 weeks and is free, so I hope it will help.
    I hope you are feeling better now after your tummy bug, DD. That really was a drastic way of losing weight!
  • stickywicket
    Hydrotherapy just (for me, a non-swimmer, anyway) involves walking about and doing a few exercises in the water. No swimming required.

I hope the weight loss coach is as dishy as the surgeon. (We can but dream :deckchair: )
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello Joan
    'm sorry you had to have the injection I hope it works well. at least you will see the nice doctor again.
    have you still got tommy. i'm not sure did you have a dog.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hello Joan, welcome back.

Sounds like your consultant was lovely to look at and I hope he proved to be a good distraction technique and it took your mind off your pain for a while.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • joanlawson

I hope the weight loss coach is as dishy as the surgeon. (We can but dream)

No he wasn't nearly as dishy as the surgeon; it would be difficult to look any more dishy than him! :lol: He was very nice though and the group session was very helpful. We had to set ourselves a goal for the week and mine was to only eat one biscuit per day. So far I've managed it, but it's only a couple of days now.
  • joanlawson
    dachshund wrote:
    Hello Joan
    'm sorry you had to have the injection I hope it works well. at least you will see the nice doctor again.
    have you still got tommy. i'm not sure did you have a dog.
    take care
    joan xx

Hello Joan,
    How nice to hear from you again. Sadly, Tommy the cat died about a year ago, but he was about 18. He was a wonderful cat, taken in as a stray and half-wild when we got him. We had him for 13 years and I miss him still. We did have a dog too (a springer spaniel which belonged to my son) We took over looking after her when my son went to live in Canada. She has now died too, aged 15, but she will never be forgotten. This is the first time we've not got any animals in the house and it feels very empty, but we're not going to have any more. We will be looking after my daughter's dog and two rabbits when she goes on holiday soon though.
  • joanlawson
    GraceB wrote:
    Hello Joan, welcome back.

Sounds like your consultant was lovely to look at and I hope he proved to be a good distraction technique and it took your mind off your pain for a while.

GraceB

Thank you for the welcome back, Grace.

Yes the surgeon did provide a very welcome distraction. It was such a pity that I had to be in a rather undignified position at the time (lying on my tummy with my backside fully in his line of vision :shock: ) It's impossible to look your best in those circumstances, wearing an operating gown and with a paper cap on your head. I will have to glam up for the follow-up appointment :D
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hello Joan!!!

Lovely to see your name on the board!!

I hope you are planning to stay around?

I am still here too, but less so of late as my youngest is fighting and winning her battle with leukaemia.

So upset to hear about your beloved animals passing on....but think you are wise to just be animal sitters from now on...unless some furry person appears at your door one day of course ;)

Love

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    joanlawson wrote:
    [We had to set ourselves a goal for the week and mine was to only eat one biscuit per day. So far I've managed it, but it's only a couple of days now.

Every day counts, Joan. You've made a good start.
    joanlawson wrote:
    It was such a pity that I had to be in a rather undignified position at the time (lying on my tummy with my backside fully in his line of vision :shock: ) It's impossible to look your best in those circumstances, wearing an operating gown and with a paper cap on your head. I will have to glam up for the follow-up appointment :D

He probably won't recognise you face up :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • joanlawson
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hello Joan!!!

Lovely to see your name on the board!!

I hope you are planning to stay around?

I am still here too, but less so of late as my youngest is fighting and winning her battle with leukaemia.

So upset to hear about your beloved animals passing on....but think you are wise to just be animal sitters from now on...unless some furry person appears at your door one day of course ;)

Love

Toni xx

Hello Toni,

I'm so pleased that your daughter is winning her battle. I've looked at your holiday photos and you all seemed to be having a great time. I hope that your daughter will continue to gain her strength.

Yes I am planning to stay around.

If some furry person appeared at my door like Tommy did, I know that I wouldn't be able to turn him or her away. Tommy spent weeks biting and scratching me- he was so ungrateful because he was being given the very best of cat food! But I loved him all the same! He had completely forgotten how to purr and it was months before he got his purr back. He turned into a wonderful cat and I miss him very much.

RIP Tommy Tucker

Joan
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Yes Joan
    RIP Tommy Tucker indeed :(
    many ((())) to you for his loss.
    I knew you wouldn't turn any furry soul away neither could I :)

Love

Toni xxx