What made you smile today?

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 13. Feb 2019, 14:09 in Community Chit-chat archive
It's often the little things in life which make us smile, isn't it?

This is what made me smile today:

Seeing my 91-year-old friend enjoying colouring in a picture with pencil crayons. Her eye-sight isn't too good, but she produced a lovely picture of some poppies.

Reading the replies I've had on here to my "Still Alive and Kicking" thread. How lovely that people take the trouble to reply.

Joan :D
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Seeing the sun between the showers - and the hint of a rainbow.
  • joanlawson
    Hi Daffy
    That would make me smile too :D Rainbows in the sky are so beautiful.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Booking my summer spa break with my favourite hotel and getting a special deal as a "regular" guest.

Photos of my beautiful baby Grandaughter

Planning for her Advent calendar which I am going to make for her.

I love rainbows too, and the fresh scent in the air after a summer shower of rain.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I smiled this morning because its a year today when we go on a cruise to the fjords,and the sun is shining. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Joan sorry I missed your other thread..but welcome back..I am sat here smiling at all the birds on the feeders...and my nearly 3 years old GD that doesn't talk very well yet..because of her enlarged tonsils..saying hello mamas..ie grandma... :sun:
    Love
    Barbara
  • joanlawson
    Meeting up with all my friends at my art group n040.gif and receiving a big hug from two of them. h050.gif
  • joanlawson
    Slosh wrote:
    Booking my summer spa break with my favourite hotel and getting a special deal as a "regular" guest.

Photos of my beautiful baby Grandaughter

Planning for her Advent calendar which I am going to make for her.

I love rainbows too, and the fresh scent in the air after a summer shower of rain.

Hi Slosh,
    I think you must have a very big smile on your face today! :D How nice to get a special deal at the hotel! I hope you enjoy the break.
    I'm envious of you that you have a baby in the family. My three grand-daughters are getting very grown-up these days, turning into young women before my eyes.
  • joanlawson
    mig wrote:
    I smiled this morning because its a year today when we go on a cruise to the fjords,and the sun is shining. Mig

Hi Mig,
    Only one year to wait then! You will be counting down the days when it gets nearer the time.
    Yes the sun is shining here too! It makes you feel so much better, doesn't it? :sun:
  • joanlawson
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Joan sorry I missed your other thread..but welcome back..I am sat here smiling at all the birds on the feeders...and my nearly 3 years old GD that doesn't talk very well yet..because of her enlarged tonsils..saying hello mamas..ie grandma... :sun:

Hi Barbara,
    Thanks for the welcome back :D It feels as though I've never been away!

Poor little girl with enlarged tonsils. I hope she isn't in pain and that they will get better soon.

I love to watch the birds too. Since our cat died, we've been able to put out food for them and one blackbird has become very tame.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hubby phoning from the top of a mountain in the Lake District when away on a day's walk, today, just to say hello.
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Hello everyone,

I smiled today when I finished a birth sampler for my grandson. I took it to a shop to be framed and later the owner of the shop rang to say it is ready for collection and looks fabulous.

I can't wait to collect it tomorrow. It has only taken me a year to complete it. I thought it would take a couple of months!

Susie
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I've been smiling all day because I've had a steroid injection and I feel flippin marvellous! Not only is there hardly any pain but I'm walking upright and my brain is in gear too.

I know it won't last but I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    This is a lovely thread, makes me smile to read every ones comments.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • joanlawson
    theresak; Lovely to get the phone-call from your hubby. Shows he was thinking of you even when on top of the mountain. :D

Susie: You must have such a sense of achievement to see the sampler finished. Well done :D

Elizabeth: Wonderful what these injections can do! I've just had one too and I'm almost pain-free for the first time in months. :D

Slosh: So glad that you like the thread. I'm enjoying reading the comments too. They are very positive and heart-warming. Thanks very much folks :D

Joan
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    One of the questions on 'Any Questions' (Radio 4)

Should those responsible for the death of Cecil the lion be made to apologise, face to face, to his family?

Commentary on the Rugby League Semi-final:

"Ben Harrison will take no further part in the match. And Ben Westwood is suspended. So two Big Bens out for Warrington."
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Pointless, yesterday.
    Question, name the largest of the Channel Islands

Contestant, Great Britain
    Julian of Norwich
  • joanlawson
    You've made me smile, SW and Slosh. Love your posts :D

My husband made me smile (he does most days!)

He was supposed to go to the shop across the road to get some milk, but he forgot. By the time he realised, the shop was shut.

Me: Why didn't you go to get the milk :?:

Him: I heard they've run out because the Channel Tunnel is blocked.

Did you ever hear such a feeble excuse in your life :?: :lol:
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Great thread. Yesterday watching the festival parade in town. A lot of work was put in to it and the kids looked so proud. My 2 year old granddaughter loved it and my eldest granddaughter enjoyed taking pictures.
    Christine
  • joanlawson
    The sun is shining, I'm pain-free for the first time in months, and I've just walked all around my village admiring the lovely gardens.

Life is GOOD :!: :D:D:D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Your post made me smile, Joan. Enthusiasm is so infectious :D

This too made me smile when Mr SW told me. He'd been playing golf this morning and the motorised trolley belong to one of his friends was refusing to start. Apparently the friend gave it a kick which resulted in the sight of one 70yr old haring up the fairway trying to catch his trolley.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Walked through the allotments on the way home from work today and stopped to look at my favourite allotment. It is full of flowers from one end to the other. Apparently it is left to do it's own thing with very little weeding. I love it.
    Christine
  • joanlawson
    Your post made me smile, Joan. Enthusiasm is so infectious :D

This too made me smile when Mr SW told me. He'd been playing golf this morning and the motorised trolley belong to one of his friends was refusing to start. Apparently the friend gave it a kick which resulted in the sight of one 70yr old haring up the fairway trying to catch his trolley.

That sounds like a scene from Monty Python! I can just imagine John Cleese playing the part and haring up the fairway with one of his funny walks :D
  • joanlawson
    applerose wrote:
    Walked through the allotments on the way home from work today and stopped to look at my favourite allotment. It is full of flowers from one end to the other. Apparently it is left to do it's own thing with very little weeding. I love it.

That sounds beautiful, applerose, rather like the old-fashioned cottage gardens.
  • joanlawson
    Today I made 18 (Yes, 18 :!: ) jars of blackberry and apple jam. We've got a thornless blackberry plant in our garden and it's gone mad this year. The berries are ripe much earlier than usual.
    My kitchen looked as though there'd been an explosion of backberries by the time I'd finished, but the jam is delicious :D
  • Slosh
    Very impressed with the jam making!

I have been asked to do stalls at a couple of Christmas fairs selling my origami flowers, cards and decorations. This is a really big deal for me as before all this started I did a lot of quilting and textile art and had begun to show my work as well as sell it. I had to give that up so I feel thrilled that not only have I now found another craft/hobby, but it is one that I can share.
    Julian of Norwich