Hi I'm new

Wildcat
Wildcat Member Posts: 9
edited 7. Aug 2015, 06:09 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone I'm a newbie. My name is Michelle, and I've been suffering from osteo arthritis in my right ankle for many years after a nasty fall and an operation. Next Friday I'm having an ankle fusion operation and to say I'm scared is an understatement. I'm really looking for some tips and to make some friends with people who have been through this too. It's lovely to meet you all xx
~Michelle~

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Wildcat from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator JK
  • alumina
    alumina Member Posts: 40
    Hello, nice to see you here although sorry of course for the reason. I have OA and have had a hip replacement but no work on my ankles. It is scary going for an op of any sort but I am sure that someone here will be able to give you advice having been through it themselves.

Hope all goes well for you and that you enjoy your time here.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there, Michelle. Of course you're scared. We all get scared before operations even old hands like me. No ankle ops for me but I've had hips and knees replaced.

If you put 'ankle fusion' into the pink search box near the top of the page on the right some old threads on it come up (also on the right).

If you start a new thread on the Living With Arthritis forum you're more likely to get recent ankle fusion people seeing it.

Good luck both with your search and the op. My experience of operations is that if we do as we're told as regards rest and exercise all will go well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. Nerves are understandable but my view has always been that surgery is designed to improve things (and in some cases completely repair) and to give it the bet chance of doing so we should do what we're told. Yup, the post-op exercises may be painful but that is to be expected. Yup, healing does take time (and sometimes longer than we wish) but it will happen. It takes years for joints to reach the stage where surgery is deemed appropriate but healing is not that lengthy a process, a few months should see all well again.

As far as I understand matters a fusion should lead to greatly reduced pain and that is a great target. Some on here have joints which have fused naturally but others need that intervention, you're not the first to have this done but it is the first time for you, hence the butterflies! I am sure all will go well and please keep in touch with us, many of us have had various surgeries and can empathise with the aftermath. DD

PS There is a permanent thread on the Living with Arthritis board here, it's called (I think!) 'Going to Hospital - Useful Tips' , that may be worth a read-through.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Wildcat
    Thank you so much everyone. It's lovely to meet you all. I'm feeling ultra nervous this morning, I guess I am thinking this week next week !!!! anyway I'm off to pick up a wheelchair from the Red Cross this morning, as I will need that. The ankle fusion recovery is soooo slow, oh well it'll be 3 months off work so it's not all bad ;)
    ~Michelle~
  • Wildcat
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies, I'm feeling even more nervous today, as I guess I am thinking this time next week !!!! It's been so hard lately as we have a puppy and taking her for walks has been a nightmare for me. So even though the recovery is long, one day I'll be able to walk her without the pain. I'm off to the Red Cross today to get a wheelchair as I'll definitely need that during my "3 months off work" !!! Oh well it's not all bad lol thank you again xxx
    ~Michelle~
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello Michelle, and welcome.

I haven't had any work done on my ankles so far, but I'm sure I'd be anxious as well - I was, in the ops I have had in the past.

I hope it goes well, and wish you a speedy recovery.