new to site

jockc
jockc Member Posts: 2
edited 7. Aug 2015, 14:06 in Say Hello Archive
Hi my name is Ian and I have been diagnosed with A/S since 1978, married with 5 grown up children. I still have one small part of my spine than has not fused, and gives me quite a bit of pain, not muscle but nerve pain. My consultant has put me on gabapentin and I was wondering if anyone has tried this and was it working. also can anyone recommend a good mattress.

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have RA, so sorry I can`t help with your problem. I do get residual nerve pain from a horrible bout of shingles about 18 months ago now, and Gabapentin will be what my GP will try next if the nerve pain doesn`t clear.

Afraid I have no advice re mattress, but hopefully someone will come along who will be more help than me!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Ian and welcome from me too. I have RA not AS but I get the bit about joints fusing and therefore not hurting.

I've never taken gabapentin but several people on here do, or have done. I suggest you ask about it on the Living With Arthritis forum as more people look on there but meanwhile here are some of our old threads on it. http://tinyurl.com/ozqtkbh

As for a mattress, this is such an individual thing. Personally I wouldn't swap my 2/3 sprung mattress with 1/3 memory foam but many on here just buy a memory foam topper. However, if your mattress is over 10 years old you probably need a new one. You shouldn't be afraid to try them out for a long time in the showroom. A good shop will encourage this.

I wish you luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • alumina
    alumina Member Posts: 40
    Hello and welcome. I have OA which is in my spine as well as my joints. I have just had an MRI scan of my lumbar and sacral spine and am awaiting the results. Your illness must have caused you a lot of pain over the years. Sorry I can't help you but do welcome you none-the-less.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have PsA, OA and fibromyalgia and we recently bought new beds to see if our quality of sleep could be improved; we opted for two single mattresses which can be zipped together, his is a medium support and mine a firm.

Mattresses are as individual as shoes, one man's heaven is another's hell. When we researched we ensured we spent at least fifteen minutes lying, plus sitting and reading on the various ones we tried, it's of little use pressing with your hands and having a quick sprawl! The advisor was very good (we went to the people who are never knowingly you-know-what) and she spent at least two hours with us. I became so comfortable I nearly dropped off. We also replaced pillows with Tempur ones and they are very good but again that is personal preference.

I wanted a no-turn mattress but they were uncomfortable (plus very hot) so I soon abandoned that idea. At least the two singles are easier to turn than one enormous one! I wish you well with your search and I hope you find something to suit. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben