lambchop1
lambchop1 Member Posts: 2
edited 12. Aug 2015, 14:43 in Say Hello Archive
Hi All came across this site and have found it so helpful. I have suffered with oesteoarthris in my spine for 10 years ,I am 54.I have recently been diagnosed with diverticilis.erosive oesteo in my hands,and fibromyalgia. I am in the support group on esa . I have been told I can apply for pip,so I have.My husband is wonderful he now helps me get dressed washes my hair AND he can style it!I have arthritis in my fett and they burn so much.Some days I fell ok and end up doing too much so it knocks me back,but just to feel like me again for a few hours is worth it sometimes.As I have erosive oesteo in my hands I cannot hold a stick so I am very wobbly and it has started to scare me a little if I go out on my own.I rang the helpline yesterday and they took my details and said if I don't hear back in 2 weeks get in touch is this normal.Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes

Mod A
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have needed to find us. I have psoriatic arthritis which in turn has led to osteo and fibro so I can empathise with the frustrations these things present. I no longer remember how I used to be and that is a blessing, I am what I am and have to muddle along as best I can: I began with one affected joint, now it's around forty. I am currently trying to fight off a cold so not at my best but I wanted to acknowledge your post.

I am nineteen years in (now aged 56) and reliant on a rollator for getting around outdoors, I also have a wheelchair for holidays etc. The aids are there for balance and stability but using them in that way is not necessarily that easy - it is very tempting to grip too hard and lean too much. I have not contacted the helpline on here so I don't know if that timescale is usual but please, come and talk to us on here, we understand how hard life can be. Most people look in on the Living with Arthritis board on here, you may find that worth a read-through. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi and welcome from me too :) I have RA which has led to OA.

I, too, am married to a good hair washer but styling? I don't think so :shock:

I think no matter how long we've had arthritis we all overdo things at times, sometimes accidentally and sometimes deliberately and, yes, it can be well worth it. Life is for living.

My RA started in my hands many years ago then spread. I've never been able to use walking aids and have always got by OK without them though I can't walk very far at all these days. Cobbles present an interesting challenge :roll:

Do you have any dressing aids? I use a sock aid and a sort of stick which I use to throw sweatshirts over my head (and remove them) and to shove trousers off and fasten the velcro on my shoes but, if in a hurry, I do just ask for help.

I've never used the Helpline here (though I'm told it's good) so I don't know what's 'normal' in terms of a response. While you're waiting why not hop over to the Living With Arthritis forum and chat to us. There's almost always someone around :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright