Bragging rights

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 13. Aug 2015, 19:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
Overheard (Well, only the profoundly deaf could not have overheard) in the doc's surgery today.

“I'm on antibiotics. They don't give them now for any old chest infection. It has to be a really bad one.”

I felt she was hoping to be congratulated :? :o

Maybe she'd like RA. You can get lots of pills for that (and none of them cure it :lol: )
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: Mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Someone who "enjoys" health problems I take it. I work with someone like that.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Brilliant.... :lol::lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    She can happily have my chest infections - I assume she would LOVE 14 days in hospital on IV antibiotics!!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Many like to be at least a little important and a cut above the hoi polloi. Will she appreciate the fact that she will get better? Nah.

I love listening to the conversations of the elderly as they flock here and there in bus stations, cafes, waiting rooms: their varying aches and pains, pills, operations (they love a good operation, especially on a prostrate) and - best of all - death, all up for discussion and dissecting. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    I'm amazed that two very obese people who attend my weight-loss class seem to brag every week about all the wrong things they've eaten because they couldn't resist giving in to temptation.
    They seem to want to outdo each other in the race to pile on the weight instead of losing it :!: :roll:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Joan, I don't know if you've seen the coverage about government draft plans to refuse sickness/health related benefits to the clinically obese if they refuse treatment. There have been complaints but part of me agrees as refusal of treatment does seem to show no interest in improving their health.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hahaha!

Was at the GP's yesterday for an hour and a 1/4 with Lucy.

3 older ladies all proceeded to tell me their health problems (one at a time) and two sisters too who bitched about and seemed to know everyone in the waiting room!!

Little did they know Lucy could 'trump' the lot of them and make them realise they should count their blessings.

Love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Knowing you you didn't mention what Lucy was going through. You must have been tempted though.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    tkachev wrote:
    Knowing you you didn't mention what Lucy was going through. You must have been tempted though.

Elizabeth x

No I didn't Elizabeth, but they all looked on when she staggered into the waiting room!

I was definitely tempted, but didn't want her the subject of their gossip!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Slosh wrote:
    Joan, I don't know if you've seen the coverage about government draft plans to refuse sickness/health related benefits to the clinically obese if they refuse treatment. There have been complaints but part of me agrees as refusal of treatment does seem to show no interest in improving their health.

The trouble is that obesity is a very complex problem and there are often underlying psychological reasons for it. If someone refuses treatment, this might be part of their general illness. Therefore, I don't agree with plans to refuse sickness/health benefits to the clinically obese. There has to be a better way to approach it.

The government doesn't refuse benefits to people who continue to smoke, or to alcoholics or drug addicts, so it would be very unfair to single out obese people.

Perhaps it would be better if the government imposed more rules/ taxes on the food manufacturers who put so much unhealthy fat and sugar into their produce. It's even been proved that some vegetables are becoming sweeter these days due to selective propagation by the growers.

Sorry if that reads a bit as though I'm on my soap box :!: :D

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif