I wasn't going to let that jar beat me!

slomo
slomo Member Posts: 180
edited 16. Aug 2015, 12:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
Last night I discovered I still had a jar of smoked salmon pate in my cupboard and decided that I would have some for today's lunch as I do love smoked salmon.
The thought of that lunch got me through putting out rubbish, changing the bedding, remaking the bed, dusting the bedroom (the dust was really really obvious now and really annoying me), and vacuuming the floor (the floor looked bad 'cos everything was looking pretty decent by then). By this time I was really looking forward to my lunch......& then I met the jar. Just a little screw top thing so should be easy enough to open!!!. Lid just would not budge, tried holding jar in towel to keep it still...lid would not budge, tried putting on a rubber glove and using the gloved hand to open the lid.....lid would not budge!
Now I was in the situation where, 1. I was at risk of not getting the lunch I wanted and 2. would probably end up telling OH about it inadvertently and he would probably do something daft like making me a packed lunch for days when I am a home. Time for a little bit of 'Compare and Contrast'. Compare and contrast annoying little jar lid with contents of cutlery drawer. Bottle Opener!! carefully slip bottle opener hook under jar lid and give a little shove. Result = jar seal bursts and lid becomes a doddle to open. So, not so much happy bunny as cat that got the cream (or salmon pate in this case). Now I find myself wondering why I feel so inordinately pleased with myself; must be something to do with this new RA world I've become a part of!!

all the best
slomo

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well done, slomo :!:

I hereby honour your ingenuity in the face of dealing with frustratingly difficult jar tops with a special commemorative statue.

e015.gif

Sorry it will give you yet one more thing to dust, but at least you'll get your reward of the smoked salmon pate!

Joan :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Well done you!!!

My Mum's old trick was to 'bash' the sides of the lid with a wooden spoon to break the seal :)

I have a metal thingy sort of trangular thingy with rubber inside it which grips lids of almost any size.

Google it and you'll find one for sure :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I have an electric jar opener which is great. Well done on your perseverance though, I'm sure I would have given up.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Well done on your perseverance Slomo. It's amazing what we can manage to do.

Toni, I just googled 'metal thingy sort of triangular thingy with rubber inside' and it came up with musical percussion instruments, fire extinguishers and adapters. :sunny:
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    applerose wrote:
    Well done on your perseverance Slomo. It's amazing what we can manage to do.

Toni, I just googled 'metal thingy sort of triangular thingy with rubber inside' and it came up with musical percussion instruments, fire extinguishers and adapters. :sunny:

Oh dear! Google jar openers for arthritis instead!!! :oops:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well done, slomo. I have an electric jar opener and an electric can opener. Without them I'd be unable to get into anything!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Slomo I bet that smoked salmon tasted better than ever..well done you..there is always a way... :bouncing-ball:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Well done, where's there's a will there's a way but sometimes we have to create our own. You know that stuff you can but which stops things sliding on dashboards and trays? I bought a roll and cut out discs of varying sizes which come in handy from time to time for recalcitrant jars.

We have to be inventive - we are shown at our creative best on the LWA forum, on the permanent thread about making life easier - have a read-through of that, slomo, you may gain a few more handy ideas! My favourite breakfast is scrambled egg with smoked salmon pieces stirred in. Hmmmm . . . . . in fact that could go down well now! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben