I'm excited

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 17. Aug 2015, 14:20 in Community Chit-chat archive
In my pre-Arthur days I was a keen quilter/patchworker and I had started to sell at craft fairs. I was heartbroken when both pre and post surgery physiotherapists "strongly " advised me to give this and sewing in general up due to the strain it put on my neck, shoulders and arms. It took me a while to find a craft to fill the gap but this year I have discovered origami.
I've just got back from a meeting with someone who runs a local craft market. I showed her some samples and pictures. She liked what I showed her and offered me a regular stall and we agreed this would be monthly with the possibility of also doing their Christmas market.

Really pleased and excited.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Slosh
    Great news....its awful when you have to give something up that you love but usually something else comes along
    Good luck with the stall

Love
    Hileena
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I am fortunate enough to still be able to sew, although I'm relegated to sewing names in clothing at the moment! It is horrible when you have to give up a hobby but I'm so pleased you have been able to find something to take its place and wish you success for your upcoming stall. My Daughter loves doing origami and they even had an origami club at her school.

Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    Thank you both
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    How wonderful to find a new hobby to enjoy. Good luck with the stall. You never know. It could lead to bigger things. I'd love to see some pictures of your work.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    An so you should be - excited. Well done you!

I've always tried to take up something new to replace something lost but origami defeated me even pre-arthritis. I remember trying as a child and later trying again when my two were young. Paper planes I can manage :lol: but that's about it. You must have an eye for detail and tons of patience. I hope the new venture goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Thank you. I started doing it again as I thought it would be good for my hands and co-ordination as I tend to fumble with things. I'm slow and can only fold a few pieces at a time and have to use thin paper for anything complex but it's satisfying. Be nice just to make enough money to buy more paper etc as I also do origami based cards, and to give me a reason for doing it.
    It will also get me out of the house and meeting new people.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Slosh how brilliant is this, it doesn't matter that you are slower than used to be..but doing something you love will really help keep you positive...and will help in many ways...
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Wow what a good idea!!

I used to be able to make a frog r015.gif I loved blowing him up at the end oh and a teapot which was almost the same!!

You enjoy yourself - what a great hobby :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • Slosh
    Thanks. I'm currently making flowers from mini paper doilies, very pretty. Mind you my theory about it helping me coordinate my hands and reduce how often I fumble or drop things doesn't really work...today I dropped an open sachet of easy cook porridge!
    Julian of Norwich
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hahaha!

That doesn't matter does it? So long as you're ok and the porridge wasn't hot ;)

xx
  • Slosh
    Luckily I hadn't got as far as cooking it, or putting in the milk.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Slosh wrote:
    today I dropped an open sachet of easy cook porridge!

I get my 'dropsy' days. They come for no obvious reason. My hands are no worse than usual but I just drop virtually everything I touch. Thank God for grabber sticks! Mind you, it'd be a long job picking up raw oats with one :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    That's good news Slosh, and a real boost to the spirits. You may be slow but that will enable you to be accurate - precision definitely improves the end result with origami.
    I have been trying it again - used to enjoy when I was a child - but find my hands are not keen now so have to do small stints of simple things. There are certainly better books and better papers around now than there were then. We used to use those squares of coloured gummed paper to make special models - the contrast of the colour on one side and white on the gummed side was striking and the size was right - but sweaty hands were a no-no!