Hello

Hilsbils
Hilsbils Member Posts: 7
edited 17. Aug 2015, 14:54 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis nearly two years ago and have been on methotrexate for a year and now sulphasalazin for 5 months. I do not have psoriasis but my son has and this seems to be why the doctors diagnosed me with PsA. Over the past month my meds don't seem to be working and my hands are worse than ever, I get frustrated and angry when I can't do things because of the pain in my fingers and worry just how much worse they will get. I have a follow up appointment with my rheumatology doctor at the end of the month but can't really think how much more they can do for me.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Hilsbils from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator JK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Hilsbils and welcome to the forum though, as we say in these parts, sorry you had to find us.

Believe me, there's a lot more they can do for you. I have RA, which started in my hands then spread as there were no proper DMARDS around back then. Now there are but sometimes it takes a while to find the right combination of drugs. Rest assured there are other DMARDS that can be thrown into the mix and, if they don't work, the anti-tnf meds come next. Lots of options but often it can take some time to sort out which works for who. It's purely trial and error unfortunately.

Maybe you feel they got the diagnosis wrong as you personally have no psoriasis. It's unlikely to be so but, in any case, the medication for all inflammatory forms of arthritis is the same.

The meds are designed to slow down the disease. This usually results in less pain but that isn't always the case. Your GP can give you pain relief but we have to get used to it always being there. Frustration at our limitations is a very common theme on here but there are ways and means of getting round things. They key is to prioritise and be prepared to adapt and change. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hilsbils
    Hilsbils Member Posts: 7
    Thank you Stickywicket for your reply it really helps to hear other peoples views but like you say shame we are all in the same boat. I have naproxen and omeprazole to help with the pain but i tend to try and "get by" without because the pain seems to come back worse than before, but this weekend i have relented and have been taking them...maybe another painkiller could be discussed with my doctor next visit that will work better.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have PsA but mostly without the P, I think it's the meds which are holding it at bay. Mine began in my left knee so I broke the rules from the off! I have been on sulph since 2002 and have tried a wide variety of other DMARDs & NSAIDs too. None of them achieved what I was used to meds achieving (I used to go to the doctors, take the pills and get better). Now I go, inject and swallow and not much appears to happen except that it does and I have learned to understand this.

All forms of arthritis are degenerative and progressive and, in the case of the auto-immune ones, we have to try a range of meds before we find the combination that works well for us. The meds reduce disease activity by suppressing our immune systems but they do not remove the problem and it can still flare despite the suppression. It sounds to me as though the meth and sulph are no longer cutting the arthritis mustard so it may be time for a meds review with your rheumatologist. As Sticky said there are more options Sadly for me I went for years without any treatment so by the time I began the drugs it was all too little too late, the damage was done, but my PsA now is very well controlled and I have learned to recognise the fact.

We are all in similar boats on here and understand the annoyance, distress and frustration our conditions cause. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on at your next appointment. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hello and welcome! I also have Psa and have been on MTX for over two years now, plus Plaquinel. I tried Sulfasalazine but it did nothing to help and actually made me quite sick. I have been suffering with the PsA monster for ten years now and had very few signs of psoriasis at first either. It was only found because my GP decided to biopsy a tiny spot of rash on my foot. the result was "psoriatic dermatitis". Then, all my joint and spine troubles were declared PsA.

I would say that my PsA has progressed and worsened despite MTX, etc. I have also gone through some horrid mental health issues as a result of the chronic pain. My recent strategy has been to push myself through the pain and gain a little fitness back. It's very hard and it's usually the awful fatigue that wins in the end but I am somewhat fitter than I was a year ago. I'm concerned that a lot of damage has occurred in my feet, ankles, knees and hands and a beneficial treatment may be coming too late.

I am seven weeks along on my first biologic, Enbrel and still have hope that it will work but so far it's not provided the lightening bolt of improvement I was wishing for.

It a tough slog, all of it.

Best wishes,
    Anna