Subtailor fusion

ImGazhughes
ImGazhughes Member Posts: 18
edited 21. Aug 2015, 08:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, ive ppsted a few threads on here about how much pain ive been in and how its affected me mentally. Well if you read my previous posts you willl know i was due an ankle fusion on the 16th of June and this has now been done. Ill try not to go on but wanted to share how i progress. Well 2 days in hospital and I couldnt wait to get out. I had to request to see the surgeon as they dont come round as a rule any more, or as i was told, but it soon became apparent that the ward nurses would say anything to keep you quiet. I must say though the surgeon and theater staff were amazing ( mr Karski at wrightington hospital) any way i was told that it all went well, they used a donated bone graft to which i agreed in advance as i didn't fancy taking it from my hip. After a 2 day stay I had to smile through the pain to blag the physio I was good to go home, and they let me go, woo hoo. So at home 4 day post op i had no meds, taking into account the last 3 months i was on morphine amd before that co cod and tramadol. The strange and emotional thing was i had no heal pain which after 16 years was a crazy thing to not feel. However very soon after i started to shake and sweat, rang the docs and quickly got some more meds as to stop them cold turkey is a big no no. Any way its difficult getting around the house and is a lot more boring than i thought but all i feel pain wise is the scar and the swelling, so heres hoping. Im in half a cast and on Wednesday i go back and they will take the stitches out and put a full cast onfor 4 more weeks. Must admit im looking forward to the days ahead but will keep you updated. If anyone has any question about this please ask as i found the advice and stories from others on here helped me a lot :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hey, well done you :D I'm so pleased it all went well and continues to do so.

I can empathise with the strangeness of feeling no pain. I had a remission during my first pregnancy and, although it felt wonderful, I never quite got used to the ease and lightness of everything.

Morphine is a powerful drug and has to be reduced carefully. It looks like you got there though. Great stuff :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamart
    jamart Member Posts: 27
    Hi so pleased your op went well, the feeling of not been in pain is great isn't it! I had a subtalor fusion in January this year, although it did not involve a bone graft so I was only in as a day patient, but from the minute I came round from the op I to had no pain, just uncomfortable from the swelling, keeping it elevated above waist height seemed to work ok for me. I was in a half cast for a week, then a full cast for another week, after which they cut that one off, took the stitches out and put another one straight on which was on for a further 4 weeks. After then it was a air cast boot for 6 weeks, much better as it can be removed so you can have a proper bath or shower! Had to start flexing my foot then, still no pain even when I had to start moving my ankle. I was a bit shocked as to how much my leg had lost the calf muscle after the six weeks of not using it. So after 12 weeks I has to start putting part of weight on it for 2 weeks, then after seeing the consultant again was able to fully weight bear, very strange at first but no pain! Still needed to use the crutches for a couple of days until my muscles got going again. So after nearly 6 month am more or less back to normal, no more walking with a limp or very slow, my husband had to tell me to slow down the other day as he couldn't keep up with me! :D . The boredom is a problem, I have never watched so much TV or read as many books in my life before! But well worth it, just wish I'd had it done earlier. Hope your recovery goes as good as mine has.
  • ImGazhughes
    Hi both, thanks for replying its good to hear other peoples stories especially when they go well. Yes i admit i love telly and movies but first 5 days and i was sick of it. Yep elevation is good and ive just been to my doctors to start a plan to ween me off the meds, im actually really exited should it all go well to come off the medication and get get me back :) these pain killers have taken over life so to get this cloud lifted from my head and start living my life is such a nice thimg to look forward too. So agaon thanks for replying and i hope to hear from more people, and or yourselves as i keep posting my progress its just good to be able to talk to people who understand. I must admit these injections ive been given are not great im geettin bruising roumd my belly. Think there to thin yoir blood. Anyway thanks again hope to speak to you all agaim xxx
  • jamart
    Your right the injections are to thin your blood, it's to stop blood clots forming. I was dreading having to have them but was very lucky in that I was able to have tablets instead of the injections, I had to have these for six weeks until I was able to start flexing my ankle once the pot was removed. Don't know how I would have managed with a needle, am a it of a wimp with anything like that! :lol: it will be worth it in the end!
  • LynneS
    LynneS Member Posts: 26
    So pleased it went well Gaz and that they are sorting your meds out too.

I'm following your thread with interest, as Mr S will have to have a fusion at some stage in the future, might just focus on the improvement and not the boredom when I tell him how you're getting on :wink:
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Great to know that it went well for you. I hope that you continue to progress well.

I too will be following your progress keenly. I may have to have an ankle fusion myself. I am due to have an exploratory op on 8th July on my ankle which could end up with me going back on the surgery list for a sub talar fusion. My consultant hopes to be able to "buy" me some time by doing the op next week to try and do some "running repairs" but has warned me there is a 40% chance I'll be recovering from this exploratory and then heading back to theatre for the biggie.

I would be interested to know please how you are managing to keep yourself amused as this is my main concern if I have to have this done.

In the meantime, I hope it's not too hot where you are and that things continue to improve for you.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • eminel
    eminel Member Posts: 23
    That's great news Gaz. I'm really pleased for you. I'll look forward to your updates :)
  • ImGazhughes
    Hi all, so 2 weeks in (last Wednesday) i went for the stitches out and the full cast. The nurses were amazed as there was no blood apparently some have a lot of bleeding but mine was fine. She took some pics for me and let me film her taking them out lol. She then put a full cast on right below my knee i asked if it could just be like a boot but they said no? I was surprised to see the amount of different colours available from pink to purple,i went for white as my son can colour on it. I have to admit this full cast is uncomfortable but safer and stable. I amuse myself with kindle fire, psp, ps3, smart tv with now tv, amazon prime, netflix and laptop, either inside or outside. My advice is time it write, you want to be off during summer as you can just chill outside. Its hard to do anything on crutches i managed to get a brew from the kitchen to outside the other day and only lost half. Its been 3 weeks now and although not painfull at all when elavated should i do something silly like go to my shed to get the deck chair out and fall into my tools it does stil hurt, anything more than touch weight bearing os a no no. I did go to the pub the other day as was allowed to put ma foot up, although was on shandys as drunk in charge of crutches is not a good idea. O amd my hands amd shoulders are sore from the crutches, but that depends how much you do. Speak soon.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I love your upbeat take on this and this thread will be very useful for others.

It was a lovely idea to go for white so that your son can colour it. Good thinking, Dad :D

As for 'safer and stable' - after my knee revision I had to wear a groin to ankle support for walking for a while. It was horribly itchy and uncomfortable and I looked as if I was opening the batting :wink: but, hey, it did a good job and it's the end result that counts.

A tip for managing that brew - use a big cup / mug and only half fill it. I have a one-cup cafetiere which is both large and melamine so very light. It also keeps liquids either hot or cold for longer.

If the sore hands are a problem try putting up a thread for tips. Quite a few people on here use them and I'm sure some will have devised something ingenious to help.

Keep plugging away. You're doing great.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamart
    Hi pleased your doing ok, I had problems with carrying things on crutches as well, my other half bought me a vacuum cup that had a lid on although it wasn't leak proof I was able to make myself a cuppa and hook the handle over one of the crutches so could get it in the room without making a mess. Also I would make myself a sandwich, cover tightly with cling film and put it in a carry bag to carry in the room. One day I made myself a hot meal and didn't fancy eating it in the kitchen so I managed to place the plate with my meal on it on the floor and pushed it through to the room with the end of my crutch! I was really pleased with myself that day. :D My hands and shoulders suffered as well with using the crutches, I did try gloves when I went out but my op was done in January, wouldn't want to be wearing gloves in this weather. I had wanted my op in the summer but was pleased it was done in the cooler months as it made me sweat even walking short distances on the crutches! Hope things keep going well for you and you manage to keep yourself occupied!
  • ImGazhughes
    Hi not been on for a.while hope your still lookin :) its been 9 weeks since ankle fusion and.admit since last time i posted i got a bit down and since i type these on my phone i really.couldnt be bothered typing. Well now im glad to say after my 6 week (7week check as they messed the appointment up) all is well. Im goin to get on my laptop soon and write fully about my experience good and bad.its just too much to do on a phone, so hope you all interesed in my journy still as i think it will help with people who are considering it......another few posts.to follow. Thanks
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hope its going well , I have had both ankles done , first in 2001 & second in 2009 , dont regret it at all , you still need to take it easy for few weeks but the air boots are very good & you will need them for few months

your ankle will tell you when you are over doing things & need to rest it , it takes 6 months to realy get over the opperation but I was back driving (auto) after 3 months , just dont over do things
  • ImGazhughes
    Hey thanks for reply. Ive been in the air boot now for 3 weeks, applying the amount ov pressure i was told i could but i do mainly.rest it. Yesterday i had to go to work and.there corridors corridors are long and im now in a lot ov pain, i used both crutches, applying a small amount of pressure but its Killin me. Is that normal,.does it hurt more before it gets better. Thanks
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Hey thanks for reply. Ive been in the air boot now for 3 weeks, applying the amount ov pressure i was told i could but i do mainly.rest it. Yesterday i had to go to work and.there corridors corridors are long and im now in a lot ov pain, i used both crutches, applying a small amount of pressure but its Killin me. Is that normal,.does it hurt more before it gets better. Thanks

it ist , but dont over do it , will be 3/4 weeks before you can start to walk normaly on it with the airboot & not worth setting it back , 1st time I was in plaster for 3 months then in some hinged brace which made it worse , & use a boot like motocross riders do instead , 2nd had airboot after 6 weeks & used it up to around 6 months