Thoughts with dustpan and brush

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
edited 26. Aug 2015, 11:49 in Community Chit-chat archive
Sweeping up the remnants of the plate, (I have, in British Rail speak, the wrong sort of hands) I was musing how, in my childhood, a smashed plate, cup or saucer was a source of delight to us hopscotch players as they always slid better than our usual stones.

Ex-washing lines always made the best skipping ropes, too. The commercial kind were rubbish for 'serious' skipping.

My Mum's tin of old buttons always made the best tiddleywinks.

Mindful of the fact that someone has recently made a fortune in re-inventing the elastic band as a creative toy, maybe there's money in nostalgia, successfully harnessed.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I remember all these things well, and you are right about the skipping rope. We used to use buttons from the box to 'gamble' with in card games too. Until recently I had a good strong clothes prop, like those of yesteryear, but my oldest grandson tried to use it as a tightrope & it broke, so now I have a spindly telescopic one.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I think you'd love a small (5 tables inside plus a couple more outside) tearoom thathas opened near me. The owner loves the period between the wars so think 30's -40's furniture, bone china cops and plates, tiny cake forks and loose tea. He has an old TV into which he has put a slightly more modern black and white portable and on Monday has a mid-day matinee, the music is all period too or a bit earlier. It's really lovely and has become a regular haunt of mine. Next time I'm there I want to buy the button tin he has on sale.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Slosh, there was a tearoom like that in Stanhope, & the proprietor used to play the National Anthem at 3pm daily, and everyone had to stand up.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Interesting how desirable, fashionable and expensive 'retro' has become - except when it comes to finding employment, when it becomes plain too old.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I recently needed to buy a swing to tie onto a tree branch and many were advertised at well over a hundred pounds for rope and a chunk of carved wood.

when i was small go-karts were made with old pram wheels and planks of wood nailed together with a piece of rope for steering, but now you can buy 'ready made' for around £80!

Chopper bikes now go for hundreds of pounds too!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein