Windows 10 .....is anyone having it????

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 17. Jan 2016, 17:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hello everyone,

The advert for Windows 10 keeps popping up on the bottom of my screen but I don't know what to do.

Is it really free? I've put it into the Internet and asked there and whatever I've read it does seem to be free, not just for a year but while ever Windows support it.

Is it a case of 'if it ain't broken don't fix it'? My PC runs on Windows 7 and I'm perfectly happy with it but I am tempted to 'reserve my copy'. It just seems too good to be true.

Am I on my own with facing this dilemma?

Luv,
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Mr SW has it for free and reports it's not much different from Windows 8 which he had before. If your pop up ad is from Microsoft it should be OK. He had trouble downloading it at first so rang the Microsoft support line. They tried to charge him £100 but, when he made it clear he wasn't paying that, they informed him it was probably 'an outside agent' (his AVG protection) that wasn't letting it in. He uninstalled AVG, installed the new Windows and then re-installed AVG.

Is it worth it? It depends. I'd to give up on Windows XP when they stopped supporting it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have reserved my free copy, apparently Windows will stop supporting its other operating systems (I'm currently on 7) and this will be the last version ever but I'm not sure if I believe that. As for my installing it, well, ummmm, I'm not very 'putery so wish me luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    My neighbour has downloaded it and it was free, but he is not keen and going back to his windows 8..I'm still on windows 7 so will stick with that for a while more.
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    That's interesting.

This shows, perhaps, I'm being over cautious.

:hammock:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I'm happy with windows 7. However 2 of my children downloaded Windows 10 without any issues but their desktops are much newer than my ancient laptops!

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I'm being over cautious
    Not necessarily a bad thing, and preferable to potentially ending up with problems.
    Perhaps I'm being unduly cynical, but I thought the reason for being able to access new Windows for free is because that way the public does the testing for the Corporation so it can subsequently release a functional version that can be charged for.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ooooh Daffy, what a dastardly thought. I like it. 8) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    I'm going to give it a go Legs. My step-daughter is already on it because she hated windows8!!

g015.gif
    xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Actually, I'm sure I've heard this officially. It makes sense. No-one can complain if they got it free and it gives microsoft the opportunity to iron out the creases and avoid another Windows 8 fiasco. What's not to like?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Thanks to everyone for their input.

I hear what you say Daffy and I'm inclined to agree, cynical or not.

I'm also thinking that if MS support their products for 10 years then Windows 7 (which I have) has been out a few years now and therefore MS will stop supporting that before Windows 10, being the young product.

Looking at everyone's replies here it seems people are trying it and if we can revert back if we don't like it then it might be worth giving it a go. I was more worried that I would suddenly be committed to a fee for having it but others think not.

After this thread I'm swaying towards trying it for myself.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    Go you Legs ;)

Me too when I have time to let it install I think it took Tia a couple of hours waiting for hers :)

Love

Toni xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Things I have heard.

1. It is free to download for 1 year. After that, if you want it, you need to pay for it.

2. Some people, including someone I know who used to work for Microsoft, are saying there will be a fee for updates but most people are saying they have read from Microsoft that it is all free for life.

3. You cannot go back to your old operating system once you have Windows 10. I have been advised to take a screen shot or snapshot (don't think that's the right word) before and after downloading it and backing up everything. That is the only way you can go back to your previous system.

Not sure what is true and what is not but I am waiting for a few months yet to see what others think and until any blips are sorted out.
    Christine
  • applerose
    Just read something else in a computer magazine. If you have Google Chrome and use Outlook for your email, you might not be able to send and receive emails. They did say there was a way round it and went on to explain. If anyone wants to know what it is, I'll post it here.
    Christine
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I got a new laptop a couple of months ago and really didn't like windows 8, I had a chat with our IT technician at work, apparently it was designed primarily for touch screens. His advice was to wait for the free upgrade to Windows 10 which would be given out free . He said Microsoft were aware of the problems with version 8 and so were giving out the free upgrades. He also said they wanted to get as many people as possible on to it as they will be gradually stopping support for other versions.

My upgrade went smoothly yesterday and the home screen looks much more familiar.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • lindalegs
    After what Christine (Applerose) has said I'm cautious again :oops:

And unlike Slosh I am quite happy with Windows 7 and I'm back to thinking if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Perhaps I'll sit on the fence for a little while as I don't want to jump in with both feet and regret it. :roll:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I'd like to add that my Daughter, having installed windows 10, then uninstalled it without a problem ( because it was not compatible with her steam account). However she has not tried to reinstall windows 10. I guess you would only get one attempt at free installation.

I'm still using windows7.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    Yes Elizabeth, Windows 7 works for me too. I think people have had problems with Windows 8 and that's why Windows 10 was brought in. :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    I've done it!

It works and all my favourites are still here :D

I did have a slight problem once all installed it got 'stuck' on the start-up page and was 'flashing'

I googled it and did what I was told to do - easy enough even for me ;)

So far so good :wink:
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Windows 10 was brought in as all the others will soon be phased out.
  • lindalegs
    Well done Toni, I'm proud of you! a075.gif Let me know what you think of it please.

Mig ......you've unsettled me again :shock: :lol::lol:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    Leave it with me Legs!!

Will report back in due course :)
  • applerose
    I'm sure I read that Windows 7 will still be supported for another 5 years or so. Elizabeth, that's interesting that your daughter was able to uninstall 10. I was told you wouldn't be able to.
    Christine
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I've downloaded it, think it's fine and it has Cortana on it which I've used a few times. Having no problems and I'm keeping it on.
  • lindalegs
    bubbadog wrote:
    I've downloaded it, think it's fine and it has Cortana on it which I've used a few times. Having no problems and I'm keeping it on.

Bubba were you windows 7 or 8 before you downloaded 10. And were you dissatisfied before?

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    I am doing fine too Legs like Bubba.

I was windows 7 because the kids were windows 8 and hated it!!