Hey New Person Here

Turel
Turel Member Posts: 6
edited 14. Sep 2015, 14:04 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,

I'm new to these forums i'm 28 years old and back in April i was diagnosed with (AOSD) Adult onset Still’s disease or Seronegative Arthritis.They have not made up there mind yet to what type of arthritis i have after five months. But i have been put on (Steroid) Prednisolone & Methotrexate

It has been kind of a uphill battle since i'm also a type one Diabetic since i was five. But also i been dealing with a lot of painful flare ups & that have effected my ability to walk and the fatigue that us effecting me so often that i have to take a nap during the day.

But anyway i just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Turel

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find support, help and light relief here.

I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more of the "arthritis hanger-ons" or look after family members who have the same.

If you have any difficulties with the technicalities of the forum, please send us a personal messages.

Best wishes
    CK Moderator
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. I too have a sero-negative auto-immune arthritis, psoriatic, and meth is one of my current medications. I have had recourse to pred in the past but that only ever deals with the symptoms in an indiscriminate way rather than tackling the source of the trouble, viz. an over-active immune system.

Meth is one of a few DMARDs, a disease-modifying-anti-rheumatic drug, and is supposed to work by suppressing the immune system thus reducing disease activity. It can take time to do this, the dose may have to be adjusted and in the meantime we have to carry on with the fatigue and discomfort which may be alleviated at least a little as the right levels of meds are achieved. You may find that at some point in the future another med may be added (I am currently taking three). How often are you having bloods done and what pain relief has been prescribed? I know very little about Type 1 Diabetes but obviously it won't help matters - it seems very unfair to have more than one chronic condition to deal with. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello there. I'm glad you decided to join us. It must be very difficult dealing with two major autoimmune problems at once. We have a few people on here with Type 2 diabetes but I can't actually recall anyone with Type 1.

Officially I have Stills Disease but not Adult Onset. I normally say RA as no-one's ever heard of Stills.

How long have you been on the steroids and meth? Since April? Same dose? I ask because it doesn't sound as if they're doi ng a great job for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Turel and a warm welcome form me
    You do seem to have a good team around you, sometimes it can take much longer before they come up with a diagnosis,I do feel for you being so young and so much to contend with..
    You will find the forum so friendly and really supportive so just jump in...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Turel
    Hey Guys,

Thank you for the warm welcome. To go in to details my hospital made a mistake when i was discharged and i was not put on steroids right away. It was not until i spoke to my Rheumatologist four weeks later.

How i dealt with the flair ups ect during that time was ibuprofen & codeine when i first spoke to my Rheumatologist he said the mistake was made and i should of been given Prednisolone before i was discharged.

But currently i'm on 10mg of Prednisolone a day, Hydroxychloroquine 200mg a day and Methotreate 20 mg once a week followed by Folic acid 5mg once weekly.

Kind of seems like a very big list for medication but in regards to the blood test i'm having them done every fortnight
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello Turel, and a warm welcome to you.

I`m sorry that you have to deal with more than one set of `nasties,` but hope the combination of meds you are taking will soon bring some benefits to you.
  • stickywicket
    It's not a very high list of meds. The folic acid isn't really a drug but a supplement which helps us to avoid side effects from the methotrexate. Hydroxychloroquine and meth are often combined. I've taken both for years. The prednisolone will simply be to get things
    easier for you until the meth and hydroxy kick in. This can take weeks. Then you'll probably be weaned off the pred. easier for you until the meth and hydroxy kick in. This can take weeks. Then you'll probably be weaned off the pred.

How's it going?
    Steven Wright
  • Turel
    It's not a very high list of meds. The folic acid isn't really a drug but a supplement which helps us to avoid side effects from the methotrexate. Hydroxychloroquine and meth are often combined. I've taken both for years. The prednisolone will simply be to get things
    easier for you until the meth and hydroxy kick in. This can take weeks. Then you'll probably be weaned off the pred. easier for you until the meth and hydroxy kick in. This can take weeks. Then you'll probably be weaned off the pred.

How's it going?

Well to be honest here i have not noticed much of a difference i have been having issues walking still that has been gradually getting worse . Most of the time i need support to stand sit down or walk.

I have like three more weeks of Methotrexate before i go and see my rheumatologist once more to have a talk about whats going on.
  • stickywicket
    Hm. Not a lot by the sounds of it. That's a pity as some of us react very well to pred. Mind you, that means we have a lot of trouble getting off it.

I can't second guess your rheumatologist. There are a lot of potential options. But I do hope it's a good appointment. Please let us know how it goes and if you see any improvement or not.
    Steven Wright