Thanks Papworth - you were great!

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 6. Sep 2015, 16:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
My best friend's hubby Joe had a had attack three weeks ago at home in Cambridgeshire. Luckily by the time his heart actually stopped, the paramedic was there and the de-fib was used. He "crashed" again when he was on his way to the Cath Lab (think that's the right name for where heart stents are put in?) at Papworth so again he was de-fibbed, this time in the corridor.

He was discharged yesterday. He had an initial stent put in when he was admitted and 10 days ago had a triple heart bypass. He had some issues post-op but Papworth got him through these, thankfully.

I just wanted to sing the praises of everyone at Papworth as they not only saved Joe's life but they supported my best mate Deb (his wife) through all of this. :)

Thanks to everyone at Papworth! We owe you big time. :lol:

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Grace Im so pleased..it can e so hit and miss if the paramedic get to you in time and you get the right follow up treatment...
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's good to hear the good news. People are quick to criticise but often slow to applaud. Well done, Papworth and I'm pleased it all turned out well for your friend.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Blimey all done and dusted in 3 weeks!!!

I am so pleased Grace and well-deserving of the compliment :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • GraceB
    Sadly there's been a bit of a hitch.

Joe appears to either be reacting to medication he's been put on or has a D&V bug and is now in Hitchinbrook Hospital, having been re-admitted early hours on Friday morning. At the moment, the medical bods don't think this is cardiac related but due to the major issues he was having with the D&V, he's now in a side ward being barrier-nursed. Swabs have been taken, and cultures are, I understand, being grown. Apologies if this is wrong wording to describe the process, but I'm not a medical person, despite watching Holby City, Casualty, 24Hrs in A&E, etc. (Guess what I watch on the TV?). Papworth have reviewed his ECG that the paramedics did and said he was okay to go to Hinchinbrook.

My mate Deb (his wife) has been told he'll be in the side ward tonight, and then moved tomorrow to a normal ward if things settle down. They've said he'll be in until at least Sunday.

So, he had 4 days at home. Let's hope for a better when he goes home next time!

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope things are improving for Joe and he'll soon be home for good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Thanks Sticky. Joe was discharged tonight (Sunday). The hospital diagnosed him with a virus and kept him in isolation. Deb is a little worried as he has appointments three times this week at the Doctors and thinks he may have been exposed to this virus when he was there last week.

Joe has Rheumatoid Arthritis quite badly and as you know only too well, some of the drugs for RA mean your immune system is shot to bits. All his RA meds were changed by Papworth so he's not only struggling to get over the bypass, this virus but is now also adjusting to a new regime for his RA meds!

He'll get there.

GraceB